ExpressCard/34 firewire card issues

Reaction score
I have just bought a new firewire expresscard/34 for my mac book pro.

The card has 2 firewire 800 and 1 firewire 400 slots.
See this site for item bought: Lycom EK-107 3 port Expresscard Firewire 800/400 1394a/b Combo card for Notebooks PC/MAC - Scan.co.uk

I am running Mac OS 10.5.7 and the tiny sheet of paper that came with the item says:

'OS 10.2.4 or newer support Built-in 800Mbps driver for this card. Mac OS 8.6 - Mac 10.2.3 just support Built-in 400Mbps driver for this card'

When i plug the card in, the small icon at the top of the screen appears to show there is something plugged in. When i click it 3 lines of text come up:

Unknown Vendor - in 'un-clickable' grey
FireWire Controller - in 'un-clickable' grey
Power Off card. - in 'clickable' black

The Problem:

I have 2 external hard drives: A lacie firewire 160GB portable hard drive and a BRAND NEW (as of today) WesternDigital 500gb portable external hard drive (USB 2.0, FIREWIRE 400, FIREWIRE 800 Conectivity.

When i plug either in they do not power up or appear on my desktop.

Please, please, please help!

Any suggestions fire them my way, the internet is rubbish lol

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The advertisement for the card does say it's for PC/MAC, however, it appears the card is not compatible. If no drivers for OS X were provided, I would return it for a refund.

Here's a Link for cards which are compatible with your MBP, however, the site is in the US and you're in the UK. But it should give you some idea of what to buy that will work.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ye the description on the website i purchaced it from says:
'Lycom EK-107 3 port Expresscard Firewire 800/400 1394a/b Combo card for Notebooks PC/MAC'

im gunna try it in my mates mac just to double check its not my port. (hope its not)

But thanks for the link, the problem is i object to payig $35 shipping to uk so... urrrgghhh! lol

any other suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.