Just switched, a little scared!!

Reaction score
Hey everybody!!! On a whim I decided to ditch my PC and I bought a 17" iMac G5. It should be in next week! I'm a little nervous about switching, but was wondering, when I get it what is the first program or app I should install?? Thanks, Holly

?

)(*

heres what i think:

A. you made one of the best decisions of your life and you will never regret it

B. you are a beautiful young woman

cheers, and good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive
Hubba! Hubba!
Come to think of it, you know you're hot, Holly.
Why else would you post your picture?

I'm new to Macs as well, so thank you for letting me know that there are beautiful Mac users in the world

:mac:

A

amartins02

Where you from Holly? Boston lol? Yea I am going to be a switcher too. Going down to the local apple store in about, oh, an hour to pick up an iBook. Good luck with your G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
it depends on what youll be using it for. but Id recommend at least installing apps that are useful to you that come with it, like the world book encyclopedias, also, get a maintenance app of some kind, most likely macjanitor, or cocktail, onyx is good, but not for beginners.
some good mac sites are:
for apps and stuff like that:
versiontracker.com
macupdate.com
pure-mac.com
for icons and desktop backgrounds/wallpapers:
resexcellence.com
iconfactory.com
interfacelift.com
macdesktop.com
mandolux.com

and welcome to the forums, and the mac side(aka the good side)

Reaction score
Hey everybody!!! On a whim I decided to ditch my PC and I bought a 17" iMac G5. It should be in next week! I'm a little nervous about switching, but was wondering, when I get it what is the first program or app I should install?? Thanks, Holly.

Congratulations on your purchase, I think you are really gona like the imac G5, my wife loves hers. No need to be nervous, OS X is very easy to use and you will find it to be quite stable and able to do what you want to do.

The software that comes with the iMac G5 should give you most of what you will need, so play with it for awhile and see if it meets your needs, don't go rushing off to download every program you see.

Some recomendations are:

Comes with Other

Safari - web browser Fire Fox
Mail - Email Thunder Bird
iChat - Chat program Fire
iTunes - Music Can't beat iTunes...
iPhoto - Photo album Don't know

Two others i would recommend are Open Office word processor suite and Gimp graphics editor. Both great programs and FREE...

M

meltbanana314

Most everything you need will be included with the base system, but a few other apps that I like are:

Quicksilver, an application launcher. Just type in the name of the program or document you want to open and BOOM! - it's there. (http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/)

Camino - I dislike Safari's (the default browser) lack of security and cookie handling features, so I go grab an optimized build of Camino (http://camino.ilnm.com/) and use that for browsing instead.

Adium X - The undisputed chat king of OS X. Works with AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and probably a few other protocols I'm forgetting. Get it here: http://www.adiumx.com/

VLC - VLC Media Player will play almost any video or audio filetype known to man.
(http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html)

T

Thud

WhyJay? said:
Hubba! Hubba!
Come to think of it, you know you're hot, Holly.
Why else would you post your picture?

I'm new to Macs as well, so thank you for letting me know that there are beautiful Mac users in the world

:mac:

...and the forum leghumpers come out of the woodwork.
LegHumper.gif

But wait a minute, are you saying that the rest of the mac users in the world are ugly?? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Thud said:
LegHumper.gif

But wait a minute, are you saying that the rest of the mac users in the world are ugly?? :eek:
I know plenty of beautiful girls that are mac users, and most guys I know that are mac users arent the "leghumpers" that "come out of the woodwork". its a matter of a. being a mac user, are usually of higher intellect, and usually as a result, of higher self esteem, dignity, and
morals(in most ways).
@ holly: how much ram are you getting? Id say you should get at least about 512 to start if you can, and upgrade as you need.

K

Kokopelli

For your first program I would say QuickSilver. After that follow the advice above and on other threads asking for recommendations.

Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive
Thud said:
LegHumper.gif

I'm no leg humper!!! I seen plenty of pretty PC girls. Perhaps I'll get to see more pretty mac users as I progress as a mac user.

Did someone say user groups? :cool:

S

StarDrifter

)(* said:
heres what i think:

B. you are a beautiful young woman

I second that opinion :)

I too am a recent switcher - less than a week actually. I bought myself a Powerbook G4 15" ........... I still have a PC for the desktop though.

D

DVD Guy

The best advice I have for you is to buy a two-button mouse with scroll wheel from www.macmice.com. If you are used to a Windows system, this will be the best addition for you. I just switched a couple of weeks ago and was lost with the Apple one button mouse. Good luck and enjoy!!!

S

StarDrifter

DVD Guy said:
The best advice I have for you is to buy a two-button mouse with scroll wheel from www.macmice.com. If you are used to a Windows system, this will be the best addition for you. I just switched a couple of weeks ago and was lost with the Apple one button mouse. Good luck and enjoy!!!

I agree with that suggestion. I can't understand why apple doesn't make a 2 button mouse as OSX supports right button menu - and apps like office most definitely does.

To bring up the right menu just click and hold onto the mouse button and it will pop up.

I bought a 2 button mini optical mouse. Mostly I use the trackpad on my Powerbook but use the mouse when i want to do things a little quicker.

M

meltbanana314

StarDrifter said:
I agree with that suggestion. I can't understand why apple doesn't make a 2 button mouse as OSX supports right button menu - and apps like office most definitely does.

Try explaining the concept of right-and-left clicking to your 81 year old grandmother when doing tech support over the phone.

"Now click the "Okay" button."

"Nothing happened."

"Were you right-clicking or left-clicking?"

"I thought I was supposed to right-click."

*bangs head repeatedly on the desk*

Apple did a good job of making it simple for most everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Sounds like a bunch of 16 year olds with over-active hormones. Cripes, if you guys were dogs, your tails would be wagging so hard your butts would be wiggling back and forth.

K

Kokopelli

Boys will be boys and I would wager anyone who chooses the nickname SexyHolly and posts a pic does not mind the attention.

Heck if I looked that good I would too, but as it is I would not be able to afford the lawsuits for emotional distress that would come about. Not to mention UglyMick just does not roll off the tongue. :(

?

)(*

dan828 said:
Sounds like a bunch of 16 year olds with over-active hormones. Cripes, if you guys were dogs, your tails would be wagging so hard your butts would be wiggling back and forth.

i apologize for giving a compliment.

I

ibmac'n

What a great way to get help from a predominatly male audience! Give yourself a very sexy name include a picture of your girlfriend or your sister and get mucho responses to your questions. Man, wish I though of that.
The jig is up "SexyHolly" I know the truth!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
ibmac'n said:
What a great way to get help from a predominatly male audience! Give yourself a very sexy name include a picture of your girlfriend or your sister and get mucho responses to your questions. Man, wish I though of that.
The jig is up "SexyHolly" I know the truth!

Darn! I should have thought of that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.