Just switched, a little scared!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ibmac'n said:
What a great way to get help from a predominatly male audience! Give yourself a very sexy name include a picture of your girlfriend or your sister and get mucho responses to your questions. Man, wish I though of that.
The jig is up "SexyHolly" I know the truth!
I dont know about that, I mentioned nothing about her physically or about her name or whatever, and I was one of the first posters in this thread, and as seen in the gender poll, Im all man.

M

mangoSharingan

Lol, this thread made me laugh. Anyways, some applications which I'd recommend are Firefox/Camino (can't decide!), Adium and maybe Sidetrack too.

OP
S
Reaction score
ibmac'n said:
What a great way to get help from a predominatly male audience! Give yourself a very sexy name include a picture of your girlfriend or your sister and get mucho responses to your questions. Man, wish I though of that.
The jig is up "SexyHolly" I know the truth!

I love it when people come on here and say things like this. I use this picture for every forum I'm in because I think its a nice way to meet people. I'm just not afraid to post a picture of who I am. Lots of people have signatures and I don't know how to do any fancy graphics so I just put up my pic. No one asked you to respond to this thread anyway. Thank you very much though for those of you who did respond, I really appreciate the input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand not being able to make your own sig. I heard someone mention sidetrack, its good, but needs a lot further development, plus your getting an imac, no track pad, so its unneccesary. Id also like to recmomend konfabulator, its really cool, until tiger comes out, if you wanna spend another $130 on it, itll include the new dashboard feature.
I also think you might like apps such as candybar, pixadex, and shapeshifter, and cleardock.
also, try adium or fire fore chat, adium cant transfer files, so use ichat just for xfers.
and carbon copy cloner for backing up your stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
All these people who are normally helpful, are being extra helpful for this particular user. Very funny. I would dl Quiksilver as stated above, as well as Mozilla Firefox, they are both useful and free applications. If you just made the switch, there is really no need to get a bunch of additional software, just enjoy the Mac OSX and the included software for awhile. You made a very good decision by switching to Macs, I did so about 4 months ago and I will never go back.

K

Kokopelli

I stand by my recommendation of checking out the other threads on the subject. There have been 3 or 4 in the last week.

Pay no mind to the peanut gallery. Your pic is fine, I hope you did not take offense at my comment. I have a warped sense of humor. You should trim it down a bit though or make it your profile picture. It is a little bigger than forum rules allow for a sig and making an exception would not be fair to everyone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a. schweb makes no exceptoins.
b.@grf: she has posted in this thread.
c. that 'peanut gallery up there^^ doesnt even know if thats her real picture, it could be someone else(no offense to original poster, not trying to call you a liar), and the fact that she has to call herself sexy in her username shows it could very well not be her in that pic, especially if she has to call herself sexy.
d. just trying to help as usual.

J

Jefe3223

Macman said:
I dont know about that, I mentioned nothing about her physically or about her name or whatever, and I was one of the first posters in this thread, and as seen in the gender poll, Im all man.

That's what makes you the man to go to with questions. Always focused on help and THEN fun.

I

ibmac'n

SexyHolly said:
I love it when people come on here and say things like this. I use this picture for every forum I'm in because I think its a nice way to meet people. I'm just not afraid to post a picture of who I am. Lots of people have signatures and I don't know how to do any fancy graphics so I just put up my pic. No one asked you to respond to this thread anyway. Thank you very much though for those of you who did respond, I really appreciate the input.

No girl as cute and innocent looking as you appear on your picture calls herself "SexyHollY"! Your a dude and you know it! Busted.
Or........ how about a little video iChat to clear things up? If I'm wrong, ib'apologizing then.

Reaction score
I thought that you guys would have asked to see the picture of the Mac.

E

Echo_

ibmac'n said:
No girl as cute and innocent looking as you appear on your picture calls herself "SexyHollY"! Your a dude and you know it! Busted.
Or........ how about a little video iChat to clear things up? If I'm wrong, ib'apologizing then.

dude we know you just want to look at her via ichat :p
i dont get why you guys go crazy. dont you guys have wives? or have you never seen a girl before?

M

MichaelSullivan

Well, I'm in the same boat as Holly here. On Friday of last week my new 15" PB arrived, and I've been busy getting things set up. So far I've downloaded Adium and the video player (VLC?). Anyway, I'll be going through to see what else I need.

Adium was a real find though, because I'm so used to using trillian on my M$ machines. Anyone know how I set Adium to show me new mail?

M

MichaelSullivan

DVD Guy said:
The best advice I have for you is to buy a two-button mouse with scroll wheel from www.macmice.com. If you are used to a Windows system, this will be the best addition for you. I just switched a couple of weeks ago and was lost with the Apple one button mouse. Good luck and enjoy!!!

DVD Guy... I purchased a bluetooth 'TheMouseBT' from dvForge. Great little mouse. I've ditched all known mousepads because this thing works great on lots of alternative surfaces (pantleg, couch, pillow, etc). Pretty cool little mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MichaelSullivan said:
Well, I'm in the same boat as Holly here. On Friday of last week my new 15" PB arrived, and I've been busy getting things set up. So far I've downloaded Adium and the video player (VLC?). Anyway, I'll be going through to see what else I need.

Adium was a real find though, because I'm so used to using trillian on my M$ machines. Anyone know how I set Adium to show me new mail?
Id like to recommend you try mplayer instead of vlc, its really better than vlc in so many ways.

K

Kokopelli

Macman said:
Id like to recommend you try mplayer instead of vlc, its really better than vlc in so many ways.

On linux I could see your argument (though disagree) but not on Mac. From my perspective MPlayer has a clunkier UI, does not support DVD menus, can not pipe video over network (not that most would want to), and supports the same formats.

What advantages does mplayer have on OS X?

I

iDVFH.

Another cool app is Skype..even though not alot of people have it it's cool (= lol (correct me if I spelt the program wrong)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I love the app, and I even have yet to apply for a username.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
skype is cool. mplayers ui is better on os x, kb shortcuts, dvd menu/playback support, better window sizing, auto correcting of a/v problems inclucding dirty discs/lenses.

K

Kokopelli

Macman said:
mplayers ui is better on os x
Strongly disagree, though I respect your opinion. Maybe you are using a version I am not aware of (see comment below)

Macman said:
kb shortcuts
VLC has them, and IMHO they are easier to customize.

Macman said:
dvd menu/playback support
Where did you get that version? Can you post a link? I would be interested in a version of mplayer for OS X that includes menu support. VLC of course has DVD and menu support as well though.

Macman said:
better window sizing
Got me there, but I usually watch full screen

Macman said:
auto correcting of a/v problems inclucding dirty discs/lenses.
Snake oil that VLC touts as well, though neither can recover missing data.

You are listing features but except resizing I don't see a differentiator. Again I am not trying to be difficult but what version of mplayer are you using and other than resizing what makes it better? If you found a newer, improved version of mplayer then perhaps I should reconsider my stance but based on the above resizing seems to be the only differentiator on your side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.