iMac-eMac RAM...

Reaction score
I have a 1 GHz (purchased before april13,2004) eMac with 356 MB of RAM. I want to upgrade the RAM until I get a new computer, because despite my clearing 10 gigs off the HD and many maintenance tasks, its too slow for me now. I checked crucial.com, and their price for this RAM is surprisingly high for some reason... I guess its old.

Well I dont like shopping for RAM because I have no idea what Im looking for, I like when sites ask me what my computer is... But crucial is disappointing this time with prices.

Anyway, I also have a basically unused olddd 700 MHz iMac G4... It has 640 MB of RAM. It seems like they both use the same kind (PC133 unbuffered SDRAM yadayada) but I could be wrong. I would like to just switch my emacs 128 with its 512... or switch each one's pairs with each other, not much preference. Could this be done? Because to my knowledge they use the same RAM...

If not, could i use this with my emac? ebay link
Its all too confusing to me, because a lot of ram descriptions dont give info, like voltage etc...

Thanks for helping, you'll be saving me time and money ;D

OP
T
Reaction score
I hate to double post..! But Im not allowed to edit the post so... it's no biggie.

To make my question clearer...
eMac 1Ghz purchased before April 13
Imac 700MHZ G4
Is the RAM interchangable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To make my question clearer...
eMac 1Ghz purchased before April 13 Imac 700MHZ G4
Is the RAM interchangable?

No.

The eMac uses PC-2700 DDR333 184 Pin SDRAM

The iMac G4 uses 1 each PC-133 144 Pin SODIMM (user accessible) and 1 each PC-133 168 Pin SDRAM that is factory installed.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply but my older version of eMac uses PC133. (And as you said, so does the iMac).

Im wondering if the "pins" or any other "specs" that matter - differ to where I could not switch between the emac and imac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The eMac I referenced was a 2005 model - and since you didn't specify the year of yours, I posted the latest.

The iMac uses a PC 133 144 Pin SODIMM which is the only module you can change out. If the PC 133 module you have for your eMac is the same pinout and design, it should work.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.