Frozen app reset

S

sunracer

My new G5 has klocked-up when installing a new app (Adobe). This is the very app on a brand new system and it's locked-up solid. Is there an equivalent to the ctrl-alt-del of the PC world for a G5? I hate to have to power-down to unstick it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
command(apple key)-option-escape works the same way to force quit. Also click-holding on the icon in the Dock will bring a menu to Force Quit.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That would be Command + Option + Escape.

Edit: I'll beat ya next time, deus_ex_machina. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
BTW What Adobe app locked on you?
iWhat - next time, Gadget, next time!!! (cat growls) ;)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Ah, that brings back memories.

OP
S

sunracer

I tried this reset and it didn't help...so I had to power-down. Now it won't boot...the small power light comes on but there is no video so I don't think it's booting. I tried resetting the PRAM with the key sequence on boot-up but it never beeped - even after holding it for about 2 minutes...

The app that started this was Adobe Creative Suite...thanks for the help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you get the spinning gear at all? Strange that CS did that... Did it freeze up during install or when opening after? Hmmm.... :(

OP
S

sunracer

I tried the PRAM reset again and I waited until I heard 3 of the little sounds that the thing makes when it first powers-on. They were separated by about 20 seconds and after the 3rd one, there were no more.

The system still refused to boot but after being left in this state for 5 minutes the fans started ramping-up in speed slowly until the thing was roaring. This run-away fan thing has happend a few times before...

OP
S

sunracer

oops...it's booting again, I just realized that I left the Adobe install CD2 disk in the drive and I bet it was trying o boot from that...is there a way to tell it which drive to boot from when it starts?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think just holding "C" key during startup boots from primary CD drive

OP
S

sunracer

When the CD was in the drive (and I think it was trying to boot from it ) I never got the spinning gear and Adobe locked-up right at the very end of the install (100%)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The install disc in good condition? Brand new I'd figure but I've had corrupted install discs freak out a comp. Do you get the same result booting w/o install disc inside? You may boot from OSX install cd.
Someone correct me if wrong...isn't there booting holding "S" or spacebar to start w/o extensions??? :|

OP
S

sunracer

I haven't tried to verify that having the disk in was the problem but I tried running Photoshop and it did nothing so I suspect that I'll need to re-install it. Then I tried runing the disk utility and I got a text dump on the screen and the system frooze again.

Is there a way to remove an app from the system (akin to the add/remove control panel in XP)?...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do a finder search, select the results and trash everything CS related and restart.

OP
S

sunracer

Thanks for all the help on this...I didn't realize how easy it is to delete an app from OSX - much nicer than XP.

What I've learned - The app giving me grief is Adobe Creative Suite. It turns out that the problem seemed to be related to the added hardware in my system:

I added an Apple HBA with optical SFPs to connect to a SAN and two 512MB RAM sticks from Smart. I knew the RAM had to be added in pairs, this is common in nearly all modern systems but I didn't buy RAM from Apple.

I removed both the HBA and the RAM from the system and Adobe loaded perfectly and is running fine. I'll do more investigation to determine which component is causing the lock-ups but I'll bet it's the RAM.

Not all RAM is created equal, there are vast differences between brands and published specs. Normally I would never have bough RAM from Simple but it was the easiest to find....

Thanks again for the help and the very useful pointers...Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've heard the G5 is very picky about the RAM that goes in it. Many on this forum recommend crucial.com or otherworldcomputing for RAM :)

OP
S

sunracer

I verified that it was the SMART RAM that was causing the problem. Even just sitting idle, running only the screen sver, the system became unstable. Once I removed the SMART RAM, everything started working fine...now I have two 512MB modules left over...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.