iMac knocked Pocket PC off my network

Reaction score
Anyone know why my new iMac would knock my pocket PC off my home wireless network? It also seems to have knocked my old windows ME machine off the network. I really miss having the Pocket PC on the network as it was very convenient for looking things up while reading the paper. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Cheers, John

Reaction score
Anyone know why my new iMac would knock my pocket PC off my home wireless network? It also seems to have knocked my old windows ME machine off the network. I really miss having the Pocket PC on the network as it was very convenient for looking things up while reading the paper. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Cheers, John

Are you saying that when the iMac is powered on, the Pocket PC cannot connect and when the iMac is off, the Pocket PC can connect? That would be strange.

You'll need to provide some details. What type of wireless network, brand of router, what kind of encryption, etc, etc. It is possible that they are getting the same IP address. Are you using static IPs?

OP
D
Reaction score
Here's what happened...I was on my wireless network with the iPAQ RX3715 Pocket PC looking a few things up minutes before I set up the new Mac. Turned off the PPC and set up the iMac. The iMac was on my network within minutes(Yeah Mac!). A few hours later I tried to look something up with the PPC and could not get on the network. I have since been able to get the windows ME machine back on the network by doing a system restore. I have Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem and a Netgear Rangemax wireless router. It's too bad Apple doesn't have PPC type of device. Does the iPod touch have word processing and spreadsheets? Oh, if it matters, the PPC is running Windows CE 2003.

Cheers, John

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Be SURE that the iPaq is set to use DHCP to get it's IP Address.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmm...I'll have to check for DHCP. The only way the Pocket PC can get on the internet now is wired through one of the windows PC's. It just doesn't make sense that it worked perfectly minutes before the iMac got on my network.

Cheers, John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If the issue started when u introduced a new piece of equipment then that would be the clue to check settings of all the wireless set up. Sounds like a conflict.

OP
D
Reaction score
What's odd is that I can't seem to log in to my router or modem. The usernames and passwords I set up four years ago no longer work. The thought of re-doing all of that. The modem had to be set up as a bridge. The whole process took hours on the phone with tech help. Oh, well.

Cheers, John

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Modem do you have? Brand? Model? I can help you probably.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have a Westell 6100 modem and a Netgear Rangemax Router. The modem, or was it the router, was originally set up as a bridge.

Cheers, John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.