Switching Sim card between two iPhones

Reaction score
I currently have the iPhone that I purchased in September. Now that the iPhone 3gS is out, I'd like that only solely for the video feature.

My husband said he wouldn't mind an iPhone, so I figured he could have my regular iPhone, and I could have his new one. I don't want to change my phone number, so I'd like to just switch the SIM cards between the two.

Would this work? They would be two legit iPhones, purchased at the store, and paid for monthly - no frills.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes, it "should" work just fine.

Reaction score
I have a similiar situation. Both my wife and I have a 3G. Since I just bought it for her within the last 30 days I am about to return my wife's to take advantage of the new 3GS. My plan was to just simply switch SIM cards. What is the best way to setup each phone essentially as there were pre-switch? The new 3GS I should be able to activate it using iTunes and "restore" it as my present phone. But how about the phone I have now that will be my wife's? Reset all settings under General and then restore as her phone? Some input would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm planning on doing essentaily the same exact thing... I spoke with ATT and they said it will work fine.

*NOTE: You'll need to have 2 $30 iPhone data plans though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a similiar situation. Both my wife and I have a 3G. Since I just bought it for her within the last 30 days I am about to return my wife's to take advantage of the new 3GS. My plan was to just simply switch SIM cards. What is the best way to setup each phone essentially as there were pre-switch? The new 3GS I should be able to activate it using iTunes and "restore" it as my present phone. But how about the phone I have now that will be my wife's? Reset all settings under General and then restore as her phone? Some input would be appreciated.

Sync the old iPhone first in iTunes on your user id. Then unplug the iPhone, log out of your user, log into your wife's user, swap SIM cards, plug the iPhone back in, run iTunes, and it will ask if you want to set this up as a new iPhone. Do so and it will wipe it clean.

Reaction score
Sync the old iPhone first in iTunes on your user id. Then unplug the iPhone, log out of your user, log into your wife's user, swap SIM cards, plug the iPhone back in, run iTunes, and it will ask if you want to set this up as a new iPhone. Do so and it will wipe it clean.

I am using the same iTunes account for both phones. Still shouldn't me much different right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using the same iTunes account for both phones. Still shouldn't me much different right?

I didn't know it'd let you even do that. Hmmm. No reason it couldn't, I suppose. Obviously it does for you, so.... hmm... Follow instructions below to reset the phones to factory-status after backing up your data, then switch SIMs.

Reset and Restore iPhone to Original Default Factory Settings with Recovery Mode » My Digital Life

Unless you and your wife want identical content with apps like the Address Book and iCal, then you should probably consider setting up her own user account on the computer so she can manage her iPhone to her liking/needs.

OP
S
Reaction score
We got the new phone last night at the apple store in our mall. We then walked down to ATT store and asked if they could switch the numbers on the two. They did it no problem. Didn't switch the SIM card, just reprogrammed on their network. Took about five minutes. Great stuff!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.