Mac Hard Drive Clone to WD Passport with Super Duper

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro (intel based) which has a partitioned internal hard drive. The one partition is used for Mac OSX (leopard) and the other for windows. My aim was to take a back up of my mac hard drive to my external WD My Passport Studio Drive 500GB (800/400 FW & USB 2). So I partitioned the WD external drive in 2 parts (GUID partitioned- Mac Os Extended (Journaled)). One for the clone of my internal mac drive and the other for personal data. So I used superduper for that (with FW 800), following all the instructions, and made a clone of my mac partition to the designated WD passport partition .

After the completion of the process I checked for any failures from the disk utility but nothing seemed to be wrong. So from the Preferences>Startup Disk I chose the WD partition (with the clone) to boot from, and hit restart-> the WD bootable partition won’t appear. Then I tried restart holding down the option key but the WD bootable partition won’t appear again.

1) my first Question therefore is, what went wrong?

2) Another question I have is the following:

I want to format the two partitions of my macbook pro (mac osx & windows) so I’ll have only one partition for mac os x. After I do that I would like to restore the clone from my WD passport (made with SD) to the new freshly formatted mac hard drive.

Are that steps right or do I miss something?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1) my first Question therefore is, what went wrong?

Did you set SuperDuper to make the destination drive bootable?

2) Another question I have is the following:

I want to format the two partitions of my macbook pro (mac osx & windows) so I’ll have only one partition for mac os x. After I do that I would like to restore the clone from my WD passport (made with SD) to the new freshly formatted mac hard drive.

Are that steps right or do I miss something?

No. Simply run the Boot Camp Assistant and it will give you the option to restore to a single partition, on-the-fly, without any need to backup/restore data.

OP
Z
Reaction score
thanx a lot for the immediate answer!

"Did you set SuperDuper to make the destination drive bootable?"

yes!

I've read that there is can be an issue with that type of hard drive (WD Passport) and firewire.Is that true?

"No. Simply run the Boot Camp Assistant and it will give you the option to restore to a single partition, on-the-fly, without any need to backup/restore data."

can you pls give me some basic steps about this operation so as i won't mess it up.For example should I boot from the clone to do that?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanx a lot for the immediate answer!

"Did you set SuperDuper to make the destination drive bootable?"

yes!

I've read that there is can be an issue with that type of hard drive (WD Passport) and firewire.Is that true?

Hmmm... not that I've heard of. Make sure you've partitioned the drive as GUID Partition Table and the filesystem as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". That is the only type of partition that will boot an Intel Mac.

"No. Simply run the Boot Camp Assistant and it will give you the option to restore to a single partition, on-the-fly, without any need to backup/restore data."

can you pls give me some basic steps about this operation so as i won't mess it up.For example should I boot from the clone to do that?

1. Completely quit all open applications.
2. Open Boot Camp Assistant (Contained in Applications => Utilities)
3. Click Continue on the first page.
4. Make sure the Create or Remove Windows partition option is selected and click Continue.
5. Click Restore
6. Leave the machine alone while Boot Camp does it's thing.

That's all there is to it.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Will try all the above.

Thank you so much for your time and your answers

Reaction score
Ok I was reading these post and have a question. I want to install Leopard on my Mac Book Pro, I got it new and never upgraded to Leopard when I got it and now I want to do it. I have a 500 gb wd my book external drive and also a new 500 gb wd passport external drive. I want to keep the my book external hard drive as a cloned back up and use the passport as an extra storage for my files that I use back and forth between home and school. I want to clone my hard drive on my MBP to the my book using Super Duper but for some reason the hard drive won't allow me to transfer more than 4 gb at a time. So I think I have a problem there or do I just need to format the my book for Mac?

Also On the my MBP I want to have a partition for leopard and then one for windows to use with boot camp or parallels. I have copies of Windows Xp to install on it too. What is the best way for me to do all of this with what I have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.