Samsung T240HD not working with Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
I have a new unibody 15" Macbook Pro and am trying to connect it to a Samsung T240HD via DVI.

I am using an Apple mini displayport to DVI adaptor and a normal DVI monitor lead, but the monitor will not recognised the MacBook Pro as a source. If I plug the monitor into an older 15" Macbook Pro which has a DVI connector it works fine.

So is this a monitor issue or the mini display adaptor issue?

Anyone had similar challenges?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

There are reports of it working properly in the reviews of the adapter on that monitor.

You're bound to have the proper cable as both the adapter and the monitor have DVI-D ports and only a DVI-D cable will fit into them.

I'm sure you have, but the only thing I can suggest is make sure you've got the source set to DVI on the monitor.

Oh, and have you tried going into System Preferences - Displays and hit Detect Displays?

OP
Bluegrass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Yeah tried all of that but to no avail. Just had a reply from Samsung Tech support who have pushed my report to "head office" for further investigation.

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing!

I wonder if anyone else is using this monitor without any issues?

It could be something as simple as a dud adaptor, even though this same adaptor works with another Samsung monitor.

Reaction score
Hey, stumbled across this from Google.

I have a 15" UMBP and the T240HD and receive a no-source prompt. Did you ever resolve this?

TIA

Reaction score
Quick update, I tried my UMBP with MDP/DVI cable on:

Samsung T200HD, Samsung SM2333HD and Samsung T260HD (as well as my T240HD).

The DVI/MDP setup worked fine for the first two, but failed to work on either of the last two.

I resolved the issue by purchasing a DVI/HDMI cable which works flawlessly. HTH.

Reaction score
Samsung T260HD - no joy

Quick update, I tried my UMBP with MDP/DVI cable on:

Samsung T200HD, Samsung SM2333HD and Samsung T260HD (as well as my T240HD).

The DVI/MDP setup worked fine for the first two, but failed to work on either of the last two.

I resolved the issue by purchasing a DVI/HDMI cable which works flawlessly. HTH.

Hi, was wondering if you could let me know what adapter you're using? Are you using the single link minidisplay port to DVI adapter or the dual link? I've actually tried what you're saying using the dual link adapter, but no joy. I unfortunately did not have my single link adapter as I had returned it after having no success just using straight DVI, wondering if I don't need to go back and buy it again to test the DVI - HDMI with it.

Thanks in advance!!

OP
Bluegrass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it to work using a minidisplay port to HDMI adaptor and HDMI cable. Still no answer from Samsung by the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.