Good idea for basic web browsing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Guys, I need some help. I'm currently considering an iPod touch, but before I purchase it I want to make sure it's right for me. Let me start by explaining my use. I currently have a Windows PC that I prefer for heavy music listening (nice speakers), gaming, and developing. I also have an old laptop that I just use for light surfing while I'm on the couch, watching TV, or away for a few days at a time. Usually my surfing consists of Gmail, forums, Wikipedia, IMDB, etc. I have nothing mission-critical that I do on my laptop - I have a desktop for all of that.

My laptop is so old and slow that it has issues displaying video, which is why I've been considering the touch. I'd like to be able to occasionally play a YouTube video or video clip (such as my Pens winning the Stanely Cup) on some website without having it stutter constantly.

My main question is: how well does the iPod touch render most websites? I read an article from 2007 (I tried to do my research before posting here) that said the touch had issues with Flash movies. Some sites I may visit employ Flash for some of the site's features. Is it still a problem for the device? Is there anything else I should be concerned about? If I do more browsing than interacting/typing, will the Touch be good for me?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Even though you can use the iPod touch to do the stuff that you listed, I don't do it very often.

I only surf the web with it when I'm too lazy to get off my bed and walk 20 feet over to my studio and wake my iMac up.

I don't enjoy looking at webpages on such a small screen. Sometimes you can't help it though and you have to use what you got.

It's certainly not a notebook or computer substitute because it doesn't display webpages correctly all the time, and some website use weird flash stuff that are not supported by the browser on the iPod.

OP
CArmstrong
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Thanks for the input. You're probably right - typing on such a small screen probably would be very frustrating, and I probably wouldn't use it nearly as much as I think. I think I've decided to just throw in an extra $200 and find a slightly older generation MacBook on Craigslist. Thanks for the input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.