Safari upgrade question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
Oh, boy - I hope I haven't missed the answer to this somewhere

I'm new to this forum, and new to my new Mac Laptop with OS X, ver. 10.5.9

The laptop automatically downloaded what appears to be an upgrade for Safari.

On my Win PC's when you upgrade a browser, you have the option of a "clean" install, where you go to add-remove and remove the old version before installing the new one. Or you can install "over" the one already in place.

With a Mac, do you need to make that decision, and if so, which method is the least likely to cause problems?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions. I sure don't want to do something that will injure my new baby!

Cheers,
Jann

T

todd51

There is no "Add/Remove" programs feature on a Mac. To simply uninstall an application, just drag it from the Applications folder into the Trash can!

And no, you don't need to do this before upgrading. Just allow the Software Update to do it's thing. It might make you restart the computer, and it will install the software while it does that, so just make sure you save everything your working on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you meant you have OS X version 10.5.7 since that's the latest. :)

As for your question: There is no need to remove Safari in order to install an update to it. Just allow the updater to install the latest files. Also there is no add\remove feature as in Windows. Since OS X is not plagued with a registry, most programs can be easily removed by dragging them to the trash.

BTW, have you tried removing the current version of IE on your Win machine in order to install a new version? ;D

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac laptop OS X, ver 10.5.7
thanx--

Well, I never claimed to be a champion typist...LOL

Thanks for the really quick answers. I kinda thought it would probably be all automatic, but wanted to be sure.

As for IE in any version, I haven't used it except at work in years. Give me good ol' Fox fire or Fire Fox--I always get it backward--any time. I put it on the new laptop first thing.

Cheers,
Jann

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.