Setting Up Static IP Address for Mac OS X v10.5

Reaction score
Hello,

I am using this guide in order to set up a static ip address as recommended for optimized downloading using the uTorrent for mac torrent client. My router is a LinkSys BEFW11S4v4 router and, according to my Airport Settings, the router's ip address is 10.40.30.10

I'm having trouble translating the guide linked to above from OS X v10.4 to OS X v10.5...Any help/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You really shouldn't need to setup a static IP address. Your router shouldn't need to change the IP unless you have a ton of machines on your network. Additionally, if you set your wireless card to static IP, you may have problems if you take the computer to another location.

My recommendation would be to set a DHCP reservation for your IP (not sure if that router supports it, as it's really quite old now), but even if you don't, it should be fine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hmm...Well honestly, I was just curious to see what kind of DL speeds I could get once optimized per the guide I was using to see what kind of benefits (if any) I would get. I'm downloading at a satisfactory speed at the moment in my opinion, so I'm really not dying to see what would happen. Only slightly curious... ;)

How do I go about setting up a DHCP reservation?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hmm...Well honestly, I was just curious to see what kind of DL speeds I could get once optimized per the guide I was using to see what kind of benefits (if any) I would get. I'm downloading at a satisfactory speed at the moment in my opinion, so I'm really not dying to see what would happen. Only slightly curious... ;)

How do I go about setting up a DHCP reservation?

Bittorrent is a give and take system. The more you give, the more (and faster) you can take. If your system is downloading at anything above a slow crawl, that means it's able to upload at decent speeds.

Also do note that the more you have to share, the better your ratio is, the better your speed will be.

So, my guess would be that you have port forwarding set up correctly and there's really nothing more you need to do. I can't help you with that particular router at the moment, as I don't have access to one (although I will next Saturday if you really feel the need to mess with it).

OP
J
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I have everything at near-default settings. I tested my upload speed via speedtest.net and did the whole .80 factor upload speed thing. I also changed my max connections to 450 DL and 200 UL. It's working just fine. I haven't even touched my router's connection settings.

So really I was just curious, no real need to get anything taken care of. Thanks for the offer though! :)

T

todd51

Well for 10.5 it's pretty much the same way. Pick Network from System Preferences. Then choose your main internet connection, whether it be Ethernet or Airport, then click Advanced.

Under the TCP/IP tab look for the "Configure IPv4:" and set it to "Manually" instead of the other option that is set. Then just change the IPv4 address to something like 192.168.1.101. After that go into your router settings and port-forward the port your using on uTorrent to that specific IP address you entered and Voila!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.