How can I copy items to a flash drive?

Reaction score
just bought a flash drive.8gig. i use a white macbook. i want to copy a movie to the flash drive so i can watch it on a work computer, panasonic toughbook.

i have movies in itunes, and i have dvd's. what is the procedure to put these files on the flash drive? or a link to how to do this. i tried google but nothing mac specific came up.

i tried drag and drop, didnt work. tried "send to E drive" didnt work

sorry if this in the wrong forum, if it is, please move it.

thanks in advance

Reaction score
drag the movie file from itunes to your desktop. then from there plug in your usb and open it on finder them just drag it into the the finder window

Reaction score
no problem. some files wont drag directly to the usb. so u have to drag to desktop then to usb.
glad i could help :]

OP
A
Reaction score
I tried plugging it in this morning, to the toughbook. Opened using windows media player. Says it cannot play file due to code c. Anyway around that?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, one of two things needs to happen. Either you need to install the correct codec for the movie file on the Toughbook, or you need to convert the file to a format that the Toughbook already has a valid codec to play.

What format is the video in right now?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows Media Player sucks - get VLC.

That's good advice. If you can install VLC Media Player, I believe it comes with a huge assortment of codecs. Unless the MP4 is DRM-protected, I believe that will do the trick.

Of course, if you don't have rights to install new software on your work machine (which is common in corporate America), you might be out of luck.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please explain further on how I go about this?
Work computers are on lockdown for installing new software

The instructions are right on the site. Basically the media player installs right on your USB flash drive and is run from that drive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Worked perfect. Thanks

I tried handbrake to get a movie on my iPhone. Took 3 hrs to do whatever handbrake does. Then I loaded it to iTunes. But it would not transfer to the iPhone. Can't remember the reason it gave. Works fine when played through iTunes though

T

todd51

Make sure that you have the option for syncing Movies checked. That way when you connect the iPhone it will always make sure the Movies are up to date.

OP
A
Reaction score
Make sure that you have the option for syncing Movies checked. That way when you connect the iPhone it will always make sure the Movies are up to date.

i manually do the movies, tried it and would not load, then i tried it automatically, still wouldnt do it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.