Oh no!! I really wanted a full search capability

Reaction score
Got the new 3.0 software update
Cut and paste - hooray

But the claim that "Search" will spotlight all the iphone is just not true. You STILL cannot search for information stored in any contact fields other than name or company or email address.

So - if I go to a city and want to know the business contacts there..... how do I find them? I certainly can't search by city name, or zip code or notes.

So - Search doesn't work, sadly

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Just tried because of you post, I can search and find a word in the notes field. (I have a bunch of contacts that have the same word for a smart group) and I also search with the city and got everyone in that city.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
City search not working for me either.

Saying "search doesn't work" is a bit of a stretch though. It has limits, but there is a lot it can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White 2GB
Just tried because of you post, I can search and find a word in the notes field. (I have a bunch of contacts that have the same word for a smart group) and I also search with the city and got everyone in that city.

How did you manage to find contact in the same city? My father and I were very sad because we couldn't get that work. We were really looking forward to it!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um maybe I've misunderstood your concern.

I went to the search page, typed "Calgary" and got back a list of addresses with the word in the contact and then other results, but addresses were first.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if it has anything to do with whether you imported your contacts from a Sim card like I did. I can't get it to find the City from the contact either but everything else. If I put in the name it does. I tried searching from other data that is not in the contact list and Spotlight finds it all.

I am doing some more testing and will get back if I find anything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can adjust the settings of how you want it to search.

This is the only configuration for the search. It's in General/Home/Search Results. All you can change is the priority order and where it searches. It still will not find the address fields in the contacts.

IMG_0045.PNG

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm It worked for me during beta, and the GM build. Sorry.

If you can find a setting I am missing, please let us know. It works great but just missing that info from the contact info.

Reaction score
It might be based on the sim card save. My sim card has 0 contacts since I got it and All my contacts are from my Address Book/Mobileme. I think you might be on to something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry if this seems dumb, but do you have the city field filled in in the address book

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to sound mean or anything but would I be searching for data that did not exist and blaming Spotlight for not finding it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.