My first Mac and digital recording....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4
After all the years of frustration, trying to get my studio PC to be a recording tool, I have purchased a Mac to see the difference everyone else seems to know about.

First of all my choice was limited, since I am not wealthy, so I went for an older system using a Power Mac G4, 667mhz processor, 512mb RAM, 60gig hard drive, a reconditioned Mac.
I chose a simple, time tested Hardware and software combination, the DIGI 001 interface and Pro Tools 6.1, that matched the Mac G4 to a tee.

Of course in all things great and small, there are issues.

I finally got the time to put the system together and after installing the hardware and software, I hit a brick wall. Seems the version OS X (10.3.9) that came on the Power Mac G4 has a bit of a conflict with Pro Tools 6.1, so every time I tried to launch a new file or just play the demo session the Mac crashed (telling me to hold the power button down to restart)!

This was frustrating, to say the least. A day of research and a bit of help from a couple friends, made me decide to reinstall an older version of OS X (10.2. Jaguar), which one of them had the discs I needed.

After a few hours of reinstalling the OS, a couple discrete updates, I was on my way to success.
Yes, after all the trouble, the system seems stable and even my newest M-Audio 88-key controller works with the USB over MIDI for tracking!

My PC stands alone for internet, email and printing documents.

What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
Were you not able to get tiger on the powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
I switched from my PC with Reason and Reaper to an iMac with Logic Pro--I never regret that decision! Good to hear you got it all working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.