I dropped my MacBook, now what do I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Hello everyone, I'm kinda embarrassed to post this, but about nine months ago I dropped my MB onto a hard floor. Still works 100% but there is some minimal physical damage, which I'd like to fix. Am I able to go to any Apple store where they would just fix/replace my case? My one year warranty expires in August.

Here I've posted some pics:
P4300324.jpg

P4300325.jpg

I'm a little concerned about this part here, where I can actually press in the case:

P4300328.jpg

Versus

P4300329.jpg

My greatest concern is the hinge:
P4300332.jpg

P4300331.jpg

As you've probably noticed, the lid does not sit flush with the bottom.
It's fine on the other side though:
P4300333.jpg

I plan to buy AppleCare in the near future, would that make a difference? That is, if I buy it and then go to the store, would they then fix it? I don't wanna buy a new bottom case for it, because I looked into it and it's really expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Hello everyone, I'm kinda embarrassed to post this, but about nine months ago I dropped my MB onto a hard floor. Still works 100% but there is some minimal physical damage, which I'd like to fix. Am I able to go to any Apple store where they would just fix/replace my case? My one year warranty expires in August.....

I plan to buy AppleCare in the near future, would that make a difference?
Neither the one year warranty nor the Apple Car extension will cover accidental damage.
They would still be able to replace your casing, however you would have to pay for it... and it wouldn't come cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Those seem to be minor cracks. If it still works properly, you don't have to get it fixed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To GK27V6:

As D3v1L80Y pointed out, neither the warranty or Apple Care covers accidental damage, however, you might want to do the case replacement yourself. If you feel up to it and don't mind spending some time you can save a considerable amount of expense by DIY.

Here's a link to ifixit which is a DIY web site. I linked to the case replacement parts list so you can get some idea of cost. The site also has step by step instruction for all DIY jobs.

Link

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
it looks to be minor damage to the top case(keyboard) and not the bottom which is simple to change i don't recommend the site chscag told you. follw the link below, their prices are cheaper and you ca get used much cheaper.

the lid is commonly bent and is not too bad that you may be able to get repaired under warranty as it is a defect mine looks about the same.

MacBook Keyboard & Top Case Trackpad White 13" New &nbsp - Powerbook Medic

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
Ok thanks for all the help guys!

I got one n00b question though. The link that rustyk123 provided me gives me the option of the newer and older style of keyboard (with or without standard Apple key). I know which one I have (with Apple key), but I'm wondering, If I buy the new one, would my MB recognize it, and would the different keys correspond to my MB? For example, I know that the "volume up" key is located on the F12 key (correct me if I'm wrong), whereas on mine it is F5. So if I installed the new keyboard (without Apple key), and press F12, would either A) nothing happen, or B) volume up ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.