Belkin Media Reader Express Card Adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 512 VRAM NVIDIA GeForce 9600M; iPhone 3Gs 32GB
Please forgive me if this is stupid, BUT...

I ordered the Belkin Media Reader Express Card Adapter from the Apple site.
It arrived in the mail today. My MacBook Pro will be here tomorrow.

The Apple site says the media reader will accomodate 12 types of memory cards including miniSD and MicroSD cards (with adapter - I missed that part). Here's the link: Belkin Media Reader-Writer ExpressCard Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

I opened the Expresscard package and the hole is larger than that Micro or MiniSD cards. You apparently need an adapter so it will fit. This additional adapter is not included in the package.

I called Belkin technical support and went round and round with someone who I had a great deal of difficulty communicating with. Very frustrating! First she said I didn't need and adapter. Then said I needed to go to Radio Shack to buy an adapter for THEIR adapter. THEY DON'T sell it or provide it for their own product!!??

Am I missing something here? If I'm being an idiot or there is a better option, please let me know. I'm not above admitting to being a moron on certain issues. HELP!!!

Reaction score
You may not need an adapter for Micro or MiniSD cards. I don't have a Belkin Media Reader but all the card readers I have do have a diagram printed on the reader slots to show which side of the slot to insert the small cards.

Cards.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MsMellisa:

The Micro and Mini SD cards that I'm familiar with and have either purchased or seen for sale at stores usually include an adapter in the package. It's possible the lesser expensive ones available at large chain stores might not come with an adapter. However, I recently purchased one at our local
Wal-Mart that did include an adapter.

Hope this bit of info helps.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz C2D, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 512 VRAM NVIDIA GeForce 9600M; iPhone 3Gs 32GB
Pomeroy,

I don't think you're grasping my problem. I've seen the USB external media cards and they have slots that are clearly labeled and accommodate the various memory card sizes. I get that.

This adapter has about a one inch slot that looks like it would perfectly accommodate some of the larger cards like a Sony Memory Stick. But the little miniSD cards wouldn't securely fit. Too small.

I do not understand why Belkin would advertise that this Media Reader reads 12 kinds of cards. 6 without adapter, 6 with adapter and then not include the adapter and not SELL the adapter. They referred me to Radio Shack for the adapter. They said they don't sell such a thing either.

Has anyone purchased/used this Belkin Adapter?

I don't want an external USB solution. I would prefer a card solution on the laptop so I have less junk to carry around.

Is there another Expresscard Media Reader solution? If so, where? How much?

Reaction score
I do understand your problem, but I don't think you looked very hard at the picture I attached. It clearly shows the SDHC slot will also use the mini SDHC card. I have used a mini SDHC in the SDHC slot with out any problem before. I put a red box around the right side of the slot that shows where to insert the mini SDHC card. Belkin may be different, but all of my multi card readers will let you use more than one size card in some slots.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do understand your problem, but I don't think you looked very hard at the picture I attached. It clearly shows the SDHC slot will also use the mini SDHC card. I have used a mini SDHC in the SDHC slot with out any problem before. I put a red box around the right side of the slot that shows where to insert the mini SDHC card. Belkin may be different, but all of my multi card readers will let you use more than one size card in some slots.

Nope, didn't look at your picture at all until you just mentioned it. I was viewing it from my iPhone and didn't see it at all. Had to wait until I got home so I could see it properly. Thank you for posting the picture and trying to help. That being said, your picture looks nothing like the card I'm talking about. Did you look at the link I posted showing the completely flush mounted internal Expresscard? There are not marked slots. There is only one hole, no writing. Belkin's own documentation booklet (inside the package) says it needs an adapter for SD cards. I was just annoyed that it wasn't included.

It's neither here nor there. I'm sending the card back. Gave up. Went to Walmart and bought an $8.00 USB SD media reader. I guess that's what everyone else does. Just seems silly to have such a nice computer and such a cheap and cheesy thingy hanging out of it. Oh well.

If someone has an alternative solution, a flush mounted Media reader adapter card that sits in the Expresscard slot, I'm open to it.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.