• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The stupid Mac vs. Windows crap!

H

HopperJonusFang

MAC is king for all my needs, although some things could be better like the Messenger applications available (aMSN is good but still no webcam/audio support like on MSN 6 for Windows, example)

Appleworks isnt all that great... the paint application on that is so unstable and buggy, sometimes none of the toolbar works, its all shaded out, other times parts of it work, other times it keeps unexpectedly quitting
I shall have to try and get hold of Paintshop Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Have you tried iChat A/V? I have had no problems in any of Appleworks - but I have not used it heavily. Are you up on crons and permissions?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
iChat cannot connect to the MSN network. If it did, it would be my God. But it don't, so go Adium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I don't use iChat for that exact same reason.. so I use Proteus :)

S

StealthMode

When I first got my mac, I was disapointed and frustrated that I couldn't build my own like my PCs, but after awhile I realized, I don't need to custom build a mac to get the quality and compatibility that I want like I would with my PC. Go figure :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Very interesting point, I think this is what keeps my pc friends stuck, not ever seeing what they are missing... such a shame, but not our problem! :)

S

StealthMode

It's mine, I own a PC too :p Mainly my gaming rig, I love to tinker with it :D but for anything productive, hello powerbook ;)...even for not so productive times :whistle:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup- I hear that. I love to tinker with my pc too. So it won't be wasted I put Linux on it and I love it! :)

M

Matt

Does anyone know if there is a Media Player/ that has those cool patterns and such like Windows Media Player (latest version)?

Thnx

B

Bill Gates

The "PC > Mac" thread I made is just a joke. I really have nothing against Mac users nor Macs

M

Michael Eisner

http://www.microsoft.com/

Go there, friend. Microsoft has all of your needs, including non-pricy but excellent computers and software you can afford.

I recommend you trash your Mac and get one of those computers. No media proggy can duplicate it's awesomeness.

M

Michael Eisner

Bill... how could you? I bought my computer knowing that Bill hand-crafted each just for me. I feel so violated.

I'm going to go cry now. Just lost another Disney stockholder's trust. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
This thread was removed because it was getting out of hand and off topic dramatically. Heed my warning, if your wasting my time or another MODs time by posting garbage.. like the past 4 posts, you will not remain a member of this forum any longer.

--
This thread will be brought back only because it is so long and has been fairly good at keeping on a reasonable topic (i mean really... no thread stays on topic more than 3-4 posts anyways eh? :D )

L

LuniX

It's right to say i gues windows is kinda a game so installing windows on a pc is like turning it into a game console. Even bigger than the XboX. But like all other pc braggers out there tehy really like XboX. Soon the XboX 2 will come out (2006 is soon with a lot of patience), it won't be using a x86 system now will it. Indeed it will use a PPC from IBM.

But i agree with "BimmerBoy", they are good in their own ways, mac is just a little bit better. I have had many friend over thinkin i was crazy to buy a mac. they even came with there laptops. There were truly impressed seeing me work, switchimng virtual screens with a 3D spinning cube. A slick os design and a genie style of minimizing. Truly just for fun, but i havent had as much problems with OSX as i had with windows without windows-blinds stuff on it. Though i did have 3 crashes witch of 2 caused by the old limewire, in 1.5 years. it's still a mayor improvement of my windows experience.

the only reason to go to pc is use LinuX (witch Sun's looking glass!) because it's cheaper and i'm just a poor student. But no design, i hate big cases and wires. And i hate crashes. But i hate to configure LinuX cause there always problems at first. MacOS X is more user friendly than anything i have ever worked with:

Win 3.11 <--- love this one though :)
Win 9x, ME, XP <--- please don't ask, i lost so much filez (not just virusses)
Win NT 4, 5 <--- much better but way too slow!

Linux 2.2.x <--- ever heard of USB!!!
LinuX 2.4.x <--- gues they have
LinuX 2.6.x <--- love to see the speed of ppc compiling :)

MacOS 9 <--- kinda bad, looks slick though, does crash les then windoze though
MacOSX <--- I think i'm in love :)

BeOS <--- No discussion, it's simply the best but without software to run

T

The Saab Pimp

my opinion on this whole crap is use whichever you personally like better. numbers and statistics are great and all, but unless the computer suites you, it's useless. for me, it's macs all the way. i don't really give a **** if you choose windows over mac, but at least try it before making the decision.

G

gennipher

GwiDan said:
There's one very good app. I haven't been able to find for Mac: an MS Paint alternative. It's one of the most useful pieces of software I've come across, but there doesn't seem to be a Mac version.

in the older mac os, like 7 or 8, there was a really crappy program similar to MS Paint. just can't remember the name of it right now. lemme go fire up my Sentris and see. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
AppleWorks has a bitmapped painting component that's about on par with Paint.

MS Paint's ancestor (MS Paintbrush in Win 3.1) was an obvious ripoff of MacPaint. The layout and tools are identical. Only Paintbrush was clunkier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.