New Macbook pro 17" battery life?

Reaction score
I just bought the new macbook pro 17", unibody, and I've found that the battery life for it seems to be about 5 hours as opposed to the 8 hour battery life they were stating. Was this supposed to be 8 hours of steady computing? I have the 7200 rpm harddrive upgrade in it, but I would imagine that wouldn't take up too much more battery life. I also switched to the lesser graphics card for more battery life and still found that it doesn't come anywhere near 8 hours. Could this be a faulty battery, or was the 8 hour battery life just an overestimated "guess" of some sorts? Was i supposed to do some crazy battery drain thing before I turned on the computer like the old computer batteries? Has anyone else experienced a shorter battery life? Or an actual 8 hour span? Also, if your battery lasts that long, what is it that you are doing with it (just internet browsing, word processing, Final Cut)? Thanks guys,

OP
O
Reaction score
I just bought the new macbook pro 17", unibody, and I've found that the battery life for it seems to be about 5 hours as opposed to the 8 hour battery life they were stating. Was this supposed to be 8 hours of steady computing? I have the 7200 rpm harddrive upgrade in it, but I would imagine that wouldn't take up too much more battery life. I also switched to the lesser graphics card for more battery life and still found that it doesn't come anywhere near 8 hours. Could this be a faulty battery, or was the 8 hour battery life just an overestimated "guess" of some sorts? Was i supposed to do some crazy battery drain thing before I turned on the computer like the old computer batteries? Has anyone else experienced a shorter battery life? Or an actual 8 hour span? Also, if your battery lasts that long, what is it that you are doing with it (just internet browsing, word processing, Final Cut)? Thanks guys,

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
**** Please, no Cross Posting the same message in multiple threads. ****

OP
O
Reaction score
Yea, I've just never seen it go above 7 hours on the little time thing when you click on the battery. Even after I did all the "power save" options and was only using internet. I'm not sure why it is, but I'd imagine it should be up to 8 hours.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The power measure "estimate" can be inaccurate and can change drastically depending on what you're doing. I've seen it go all over the place. The link dtravis7 also linked to will show that despite the fact that you may rarely get 8 hours, you will always generally get much more time than other models.

The fine print comes in handy here: "Battery life depends on configuration and use. See Apple - Batteries for more information. The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%." That's where 8 hours comes from.

OP
O
Reaction score
Right. I don't know, I have everything the same, battery optimization setting up, screen at half brightness, and I'm just looking on the internet. The battery still won't last longer than 2:30. Could this be something faulty?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Right. I don't know, I have everything the same, battery optimization setting up, screen at half brightness, and I'm just looking on the internet. The battery still won't last longer than 2:30. Could this be something faulty?

2 months later we get an answer!;D

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.