Synchronizing iCal with Google Calendar

Reaction score
Setup:
Leopard 10.5.7
iPod Touch

Can the default iCal application on my iBook be synchronized with a calendar on Google?

I have been able to create a calendar on Google and have this calendar synchronize with a same named calendar in iCal BUT not the default iCal calendar.

Am I missing something here?

Many thanks....

Todd

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was going to suggest CalDAV but you already appear to have done that. ;)

I've heard good things about Spanning Sync. I only used it once quickly to push all my calendar events to Google so I could set up CalDAV but it seems to get the job done.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am using CalDAV to sync the Calendar I created in Google, however my question is whether CalDAV is suppose to sync the default iCal with a Google calendar? If so, I cannot get that to work.

Todd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I am currently using Spanning Sync to sycn up my iCal with Google Calender and it works great. The sync occurs every few minutes and it has support for multiple calenders. I am actually syncing four right now :)

There is a small cost, like $25 a year because there is a server piece they maintain to make it work flawlessly. If you can't get the free options to work, check them out: Spanning Sync - Sync iCal and Google Calendar

Reaction score
I am using CalDAV to sync the Calendar I created in Google, however my question is whether CalDAV is suppose to sync the default iCal with a Google calendar? If so, I cannot get that to work.

Todd

i have the same question. i really want to sync my ical --> google cal, not the other way around. ideally im looking for a free option. can CalDAV do this? or anything else out there other than the paid applications?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I use CalDAV and it works fine. Setting up with CalDAV as per Google's instructions will sync GCal to iCal first. So, if you want to go iCal to GCal, you will have to add your calendar appointments to GCal first. Once that's done, you can setup CalDAV using those instructions and you'll be good to go.

As always though, back up iCal first (just in case).

Reaction score
Hi,

I think there is some confusion in the usage of the word 'sync'. Yes, via CalDav, a user can create a new calendar in the iCal app that displays the contents of the google calendar. However, what the OP was asking was if there is a way to combine both his shared google calendar with his default iCal calendar. In other words, to only have one calendar. I, too, am trying to do this. I have backed up and deleted my default iCal calendar, and now my Google calendar is at the top of the list. However, mail.app will not automatically add events to a CalDav calendar for some reason. This is my only reason for wanting to do this. If i can have mail.app add .ics events to my shared google calendar, I'll finally have near-realtime calendar synching on my iphone via google cal!

I'm still looking into it. If anyone has any suggestions, I am eager to know. As of right now, in 10.5.7, I can't seem to get iCal to add events passed from mail.app to my default cal (which is now my caldav google cal).

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz
Spanning Sync is expensive but offers flawless two-way syncing. You can choose a calendar in iCal and another in your Google Calendar and the two will be synced no matter where the change is made. That sounds like what you're looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.