Are You Disappointed with the 3G S

Reaction score
I just want to know if you are disappointed that the 3G S is nothing more than a 3G with one or two new features.

I was really really expecting a redesign of even the subtlest, just a matte back or aluminium bezel would have impressed me enough.

Apple were extremely lazy this time around, why did they feel that the difference between the 2G and 3G did not deserve a redesign, but not this time around. Pathetic IMO! Especially after all the excitement pre show...for like...well months really!

Reaction score
Why are so many people upset about the design? I am kind of happy that I can reuse my old case, $30 extra I don't have to spend.

I think that the speed increases will be great, MMS (whenever AT&T rolls it out) will be nice (I know it's part of the 3.0 update). The camera will be much better, voice commands and Video camera?

You're right, they should have saved a lot of money and just give us a new external appearance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
The fact that they kept the design the same and only added a few features makes the fact that I still have the 3g more tolerable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I like that there was no significant update, so that I'm not left waiting for the 18 months mark where I would be able to upgrade to the new phone at the subsidized price. Now I can wait until next year when Apple should be putting out a more promising update to the 3G and I'll be able to get it at the subsidized cost :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I really liked it but then again I'm coming from the 1st gen. iPhone. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I was disappointed because it was way over hyped! The good thing I got out of it is the fact that the design didn't change, even though I was excited for that new titanium looking one...even if it was just a fake

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
People will gripe no matter what Apple does. Bugs me to no end.

I like the improvements to battery life and the camera and the OS 3.0 will be a LARGE improvement, but of course you can get most of the new features in 3.0 on the 3g iphone also.

I hated the so called rumor sites iphone designs. I like the outside the way it is just fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah but I'm not really referring to the iPhone concepts, obviously they are fake and never happening.

I mean the pictures of the matte iPhone finish and new black bezel, which by the way, the leaked matte pictures have the same information on the back as the 3G S, which means Apple was going to give it a matte finish, and decided not to...WHY!?

iphone-3g-s-fcc-comparison.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
People will gripe no matter what Apple does. Bugs me to no end.

First batch of complainers say that Apple improved the product too much and now they're stuck with an outdated system.

Next batch of complainers say that Apple didn't improve the product enough.

I pick the third option in the Poll:

This is ridiculous and you all should get a life that doesn't revolve around what Apple does or doesn't do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah but I'm not really referring to the iPhone concepts, obviously they are fake and never happening.

I mean the pictures of the matte iPhone finish and new black bezel, which by the way, the leaked matte pictures have the same information on the back as the 3G S, which means Apple was going to give it a matte finish, and decided not to...WHY!?

iphone-3g-s-fcc-comparison.jpg

Yes, because it wasn't difficult to photoshop all of that information in from the previous iPhones...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Intel C2D, 4GB RAM
dunno why people are so upset, everything up to the official announcement were just rumours, your own problem if you took it so seriously.

only thing i'm disappointed about is no front facing camera and upping the megapixel a bit more, other than that still looks good. They should have kept the old metal back tho, more durable.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, because it wasn't difficult to photoshop all of that information in from the previous iPhones...

...what are you on about

The leaked shot appeard weeks if not months before the FCC drawings turned up with that information, not the other way about.

Reaction score
I think they did something to appease the masses. They were planning to pull something out big next year, so they went to the middle low ground just to shut of the whiners >.<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
The much improved internals are more important to me than a drastic design change. Cortex A8 FTW!

Of course I am coming from a 2 year old original iPhone, so I am getting a bigger upgrade of features than if I were coming from the 3G (which I wouldn't have thrown away for the 3G S).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
So, sure some people aren't satisfied and some are. My question is for some one who is a heavier texter...Can the thing go a full day without having to be recharged? Because in my opinion that was the only problem with the original 3G. It was always dead by 630 or 7.....as in the phone would shut off dead, and if I made a couple extra calls it was dead by 430 or 5..... If this is fixed then it is time for me to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13
Well the speed and extra GB are a welcome addition. I came from the original iPhone, so GPS is new for me too. I was really hoping for OLED like the rumored new Zune. I love the camera compared to the original. Still quite an upgrade for us newly out of contract 1 gen folks. No 3G here, so no network speed increases for me. Living with the Edge (ugh!). Maybe we will see an upgrade to 720p as I have read the chip set is capable of outputting (thinking small hp projector for the road). Overall pleased, just not overly wowed, but I guess we are spoiled already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wow, good job making each option sound negative!

I have a third vote: trash this thread and kick the poster.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, sure some people aren't satisfied and some are. My question is for some one who is a heavier texter...Can the thing go a full day without having to be recharged? Because in my opinion that was the only problem with the original 3G. It was always dead by 630 or 7.....as in the phone would shut off dead, and if I made a couple extra calls it was dead by 430 or 5..... If this is fixed then it is time for me to upgrade.

I'm a rather heavy texter and my phone lasts me pretty much the whole day, and I also surf the net, make calls, and play music. Do you have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on the entire time?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.