Eligible for replacement Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
I bought a Unibody Macbook Pro in december last year, from Currys (UK) and not the Apple shop.

I have these problems....

1. Runs very very hot. Hovers at 65/70oC idle. Exporting movies in iMovie or anything like that it peaks at 90oC.
2. Due to the heat, the lid has warped; only one side shutting closed fully. When lifted upright (i.e when i put it in my bag for school) the lid pops open... so stuff gets in between my screen and keyboard.
3. My right speaker rattles internally.
4. There is a serious defect with my headphone jack - If i simply spin a headphone jack around inside the hole the music comes out of the built in speakers.... the jack doesn't seem to house headphones very well at all.

Do you think i can request a replacement? Also, i have no Apple care; but is it covered on the years warranty?

Thanks guys!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is a one year warranty, so if you're within that year, you should be good. I would highly recommend taking it to an Apple Store if possible.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have heard different opinions from people; mostly saying they won't replace it for me. I don't mind a repair, but amongst the other faults its surely the easier option.

If you google the headphone jack problem (which is my biggest gripe) its widespread, however, everyone seems to say their headphone CONNECT. Mine actually don't, they slide into the jack without any pop or snap into place.

I really hope they replace my laptop :(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hard to say, but I can almost guarantee you that a reseller will want to repair it. You have a much better chance at an Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Just a quick question. Have you checked the inside for dust buildup? It's actually a VERY common cause for laptop/notebook heat buildup over time.

Reaction score
Apple Warranty Check

I bought a Unibody Macbook Pro in december last year, from Currys (UK) and not the Apple shop.

I have these problems....

1. Runs very very hot. Hovers at 65/70oC idle. Exporting movies in iMovie or anything like that it peaks at 90oC.
2. Due to the heat, the lid has warped; only one side shutting closed fully. When lifted upright (i.e when i put it in my bag for school) the lid pops open... so stuff gets in between my screen and keyboard.
3. My right speaker rattles internally.
4. There is a serious defect with my headphone jack - If i simply spin a headphone jack around inside the hole the music comes out of the built in speakers.... the jack doesn't seem to house headphones very well at all.

Do you think i can request a replacement? Also, i have no Apple care; but is it covered on the years warranty?

Thanks guys!

Go To https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do and Enter your serial number, you should be able to get a new macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.