Crashing when closing the lid and putting to sleep

Reaction score
Well I really am baffled. I have a 15" MacBook Pro loaded with leopard. Everything works as you would expect, but I have an odd problem.

Boot it up and log in, access multiple apps and work as normal, then close the lid and it goes to sleep without issue.

Open the lid and let it spring back into life. I can then work as normal again, but if I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep. I think it tries, but fails. No error messages or anything, but when you open the lid again the machine has hung and the only way I can get it back up again is to power off and back on.

Exactly the same happens regardless of whether you open apps or not, it's always on the second attempt to put it to sleep by shutting the lid.

I've repaired the permissions and there's nothing funny loading at startup, so I really don't know what's up. I really don't want to have to perform a fresh install with all that entails, so any assistance that can be provided would be much appreciated.

Martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More Then I Can Count
When you close the lid does the apple light stay on or off? It is stays on, then it is a reed switch issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you tried resetting the SMC here

OP
B
Reaction score
;) The SMC reset did it. Fantastic. Thank you both for the helpful comments o things to try. Much appreciated.

Martin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.