Returning Mac user looking for help

Reaction score
I am a long-time PC user:Grimmace: returning to the Mac universe, and whilst generally getting on extremely well, need help with finding 2 essential applications

1. a user-friendly disk usage / file management application

I use TuneUp Utilities (http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup- … s/features) on my PC which, among many brilliant uses, allows me to quickly do an inventory on my entire hard-drive (or selected folders) and show the sizes of files / folders and sort by application, extension etc. From within the utility i can then delete, move or copy files as required to clear out space etc. It also highlights redundant files for deletion etc, which again i can do from within the app.

I cannot find a mac equivalent. I have tried Daisy Disk, DiskInventory X, GrandPerspective and others which have lots of pretty interfaces but don't really help that much. I'm looking for a simple folder hierarcy output like Windows Explorer, possibly with pie charts of file size/useage and at a minimum allows subsequent manipulation of files... The issue with DaisyDisk etc is that once a file is identified i then have to find it again in 'Finder' to do anything with it which is quite cumbersome.

2. A great desktop search engine
I used Copernic for my PC (Copernic Software Products) and imho its the best desktop search engine out there. Great interface allowing selective search of emails (by title, keywords, sent, received, date, including or excluding attachments etc), files/folders (by type, date, title, keywords etc), contacts, calendar appointments and much more. Easy to use, elegant interface and finds what i want in seconds. This is significantly better than spotlight.

Can folks advise on equivalents for these 2 apps in the Mac world? i have spent many frustrating hours looking and trying various apps but to no avail. Please help!

Alzerhowzer

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
#1 - no idea.
#2 - Google Desktop?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.