Time Machine restoration

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 3.06 ghz; 4GB Ram; 500 GB 7200 RPM HD
Hello everyone,

Since Time Machine is integrated into OSX I figured this was the right section of the forum to post.

I have an external USB HD with Time Machine backups on it. I am about to get a new MacBook Pro and I would like to restore my documents, settings and applications from the Time Machine backups to the new machine. My questions are as follows:

When I plug the external HD into the new MacBook Pro, will I be prompted to restore everything from the backups on said drive?​

Is the restoration of backed up data destructive?​

To clarify, if I restore all of my applications from the Time Machine backup, will any new applications that are installed on the new MacBook Pro, but that didn't exist on the previous machine be erased?​
Lastly, will my new machine be able to pick up with its own backups to the same Time Machine backup database, or will the new machine need to erase the existing backups to start its own backup sequence?
Thanks in advance! You guys are great.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again everyone,

It may help if I provide some more detail regarding my situation.

I had a MacBook Pro for about a week or so. The MacBook Pro came with the basic software that ships with any OSX MacBook. I ended up installing WoW and a few small applications on the MacBook Pro.

I just returned the MacBook Pro and am eagerly awaiting its replacement. I was able to swing the cost of a few additions to the basic OSX installation (namely Final Cut and iWork '09).

Will I be able to restore my WoW installation to the new machine from my Time Machine backup without wiping out the new Final Cut and iWork applications?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Time Machine will not erase any new applications you have, but will be able to restore any old apps / documents / photos / music etc using the backup from your previous Macbook.
When you first start up your new machine you will be given an option to restore from a Time Machine backup.

From then on if you want to use the same hard drive for backups, I believe Time Machine wil need to format the external HDD and start afresh, so I would check everything is present and working before allowing a new backup.
I could be wrong so maybe someone with a little more experience will come along and help.

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello everyone,

As a quick update, hugtheslug was right on in that restoring from a Time Machine backup did not erase the new applications that were already installed on the new machine.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.