WoW account hacked through my Mac

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the forum, and relatively new to the MAC-world.
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this thread, in case it isn't I kindly ask the moderators to move it to where it belongs, thanks! :)

Recently, I had a problem on my MacBook. I am fairly sure that my World of Warcraft (WoW) account info were somehow sent to somebody from my Macbook. I am owner of a WoW frozen account (it means I ended my subscription, so I cannot access the game till I renew it). The account has been frozen and safe since April 2008. About 2 weeks ago (May 2009) I logged into my account from the MacBook to browse around, since I am going to reactivate the account in a couple of days. I stayed logged in for about 15 minutes. The next day I tried to log in again, but the account had been hacked, merged into another one, and the log-in info changed.
Also, during the same browsing session, I found all links leading to the Game Developer's customer support not working, meaning that something was going on in my own browser (I was using firefox at the time, but I think it was the same with safari. After cleaning cache and cookies, and reconnecting, I was able to reach those links again.
Now, the WoW account issue has been resolved, but what bothers me is that I am confident that the info were taken while using the MACBook, which I deemed extremely safe.
I installed Little Snitch, and I found out that when I connect to the WoW website and type anything in my log-in screen, the browser (both Firefox and Safari) connect to view.atdmt.com, which I read is some sort of spyware website.
I cleaned the cache, the cookies, added view.atdmt.com to the "block coockies" list, but that did't solve the problem. Whenever I go on the WoW website, and I "pretend" to log in, Safari and Firefox connect to view.atdmt.com.
Since I am new to MAC, I would like to ask your help to make the MACBook safe again.

1) is view.atdmt.com my problem?
2) if so, how do I prevent all connections to it?
3) if not, how do I find the real problem?
4) how did they hacked my browser, so I could not reach the customer support of the Game Developer's website?
5) how do I make sure this is not going to happen again?

I would really appreciate your help :)

Francesco

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My WoW account was hijacked about a year or so ago. At that point, it had been inactive for over a year. The only reason I knew it was hijacked was because I got an email from Blizzard stating that my account "may" have been compromised. I logged in, found the account was active and paid for 3 months on someone else's credit card, found my characters had been tampered with and in use. One had better equipment. LOL! Anywho... I found it strange that Blizzard was who figured out my account had been compromised. I'm fairly certain it was an inside job by someone who got busted. Really... how else would Blizz have even suspected my account was compromised to begin with?

OP
F
Reaction score
No, I don't think Blizzard or its employees have anything to do with it. I am sure that something was going on on my computer, unfortunately. The reason why Blizzard knew about your account is probably because whoever hacks an account strips characters, sends gold around, uses cheats to increase stats and skills and sells the account to somebody else. It is a pattern that is easy to recognize, that's why the company comes to know about it. Even before I contacted them, my account had been already suspended because the user violated something in game.

Anyway, I am more concerned with cleaning the MacBook than with WoW right now ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah... the characters and their banks were largely untampered with, aside from my warlock losing tailoring for herbalism. My two main characters had gear improvements, partly from PVP, partly from a dungeon zone that opened since I had quit. Whoever took the account took it for themselves and even had a small friends list, one of whom I had been acquainted with for a short while but didn't know me well enough to know I wasn't the same person. I'm certain it was an inside job. My password was a very secure one, my email address had not been changed, though I received no notice that my account had been re-activated and billed for, and as I said, had sat for well over a year. If anyone had actually stolen my password via spyware or a virus, they wouldn't have waited so long just to play it. I've seen enough Windows users' characters being raped (and their guild bank being raped too) as the character owner struggled to get ahold of Blizz to stop it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anywho, my general point is that with the lack of viruses or spyware on OS X, I'm just skeptical that that was how you were compromised. There are a couple trojans, acquirable only by pirating the software they are disguised as. If you did do so, then BINGO! If not, then look at your add-ons, and perhaps add-on updaters like Curse.

BTW... the Warcraft site is connecting to atdmt.com because it is supposed to. It's an ad server among other things. They can't spy on your password.
http://www.spywaredb.com/remove-atdmt-com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.