Is upgraded Hardware on a MBP still covered under the Apple Care Protection Plan ?

Reaction score
Hi

Say, If I bought this 3 year warranty with a new MacBook Pro, would it still be covered even If I say, decided to upgrade the hard drive in a year ? Or is it only applicable to the hardware that came with the MacBook ?

Thanks

PS

Would you recommend actually forking out extra money for this plan ? I intend on possibly buying the new MBP 13 inch.

JJP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
This should be posted in the notebook subforum.

You won't be covered for the hard drive. In fact, if Apple discovers you opened up your computer at all, your entire warranty will be voided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
Apple gives instructions in the documentation that comes with the macbook for changing RAM and the Hardrive, so why would this void the warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Macbook is a separate issue from the Macbook Pro. Apple made it a possibility on the Macbook, but on the Macbook Pro they didn't make the hard drive user-replaceable. On MBPs the only thing you can change out without voiding your warranty are the battery and the RAM.

I know how you feel though. I'm still trying to get by with my 120GB HD. I wish Apple would at least offer a HD upgrade service. At this point I would be willing to pay some jacked up service fee to have them install a bigger HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.