my 40gig ipod died :o help

H

hmmmnz

hi my 40gig ipod died the other day, i went to turn it on and a mac symbol came up then a pic of a file with a line through it, then turned off, now nothing. wont charge wont turn on, computer wont recognise it,
***.. any ideas? is there a hard reset? i tryed the play menu reset but nothing, stupid ipod, too smart for its own good.. grrrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
hmmmnz said:
hi my 40gig ipod died the other day, i went to turn it on and a mac symbol came up then a pic of a file with a line through it, then turned off, now nothing. wont charge wont turn on, computer wont recognise it,
***.. any ideas? is there a hard reset? i tryed the play menu reset but nothing, stupid ipod, too smart for its own good.. grrrr

same exact thing happened to my 3G iPod. i took it to the apple store, the "genius" takes a look at it, turns to his partner and says, "look, another one." referring to the folder icon with a line through it. he told me that i would have to send it in to apple and that they would send me a new one. apparently they won't fix your original ipod, they'll send you a new one or refurbed one. but i don't know how they would do that seeing as how i have a 10GB 3G iPod. i'm pretty sure they wouldn't even have refurbed models of that one. in any case, i should have one back by next week so i'll let you know what i get from apple. i did purchase the applecare warranty, so as long as your warranty is still good they should be able to replace it fairly easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Apple has lots of refurbed units-- I wouldn't sweat that.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
That also happened to me, so I connected my ipod to firewire port and put my computer to sleep and woke it back up. My iPod came back to life. Wierd, but it's been workin fine for the past 4 months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Is it true that when you send your ipod to Apple, they send it back with a re-furb and without the songs on it? Just curious.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.