Anti-Glare or Glossy?

N

Notopi

Alright I am new to Apple products and well I'm simply tired of having a PC and having to deal with all the Microsoft errors, so I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro but I can't decide on anti-glare technology or glossy screen? Which should I get? Here is a few things I will be doing with my new computer if it better helps with which display is better, I'll be using it for Photography, Maya 2009, etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
I can't directly speak from experience for the two looks, but I have to imagine the glossy is better. I have a matte finish screen now and it just seems kind of dull and lifeless. The glossy screens give more vibrant, lively images and colors. It may be somewhat more glaring, but you can always adjust the screen tilt and rotation to get rid of glare for the most part.

Reaction score
I've been told that while the glossy screen has brighter, more vivid, "popping" colors, they can be considered inaccurate compared to colors on a matte screen. If you are more concerned with how the end-product will look on another screen (or printed) you may want to look at the matte screens. The glare factor is also an issue, as people frequently working in bright lights or outside tend to complain about glare. That being said, I have a unibody MBP 17" and the glossy screen is absolutely gorgeous.

(Windows 7 also runs really well on my MBP.. tho Windows has always run well for me on anything)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
On a portable computer, the glossy screen could pose problems since lighting conditions will be different depending on where you are, causing reflection issues. Also a matte screen gives you a more accurate representation of what the final version of a photo or video will look like. Since I do a lot of video work and like to take my MBP with me wherever I go, the matte screen makes more sense for me. It might not have an advantage for you, it depends on what you're using it for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
I have been extremely happy with the glossy screen on my MacBook Pro. It definitely results in better colors, but there can be some issues with a glossy screen for more portable users.

If you will not be able to control the lighting in the typical environment you plan on using your computer in, I'd say go for the matte screen. If you plan on mostly working in a room where you know screen glare will not be an issue, go for glossy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the new MBP screens are more glossy than the previous generation? I looked at the new ones at the Apple store today, and they were almost too glossy. Could have been the lighting in the store....

Reaction score
i just purchased the new summer 2009 15" MBP yesterday, and feel I have some important information that I've seen no one else mention.

First, I did a ton of research and reading before making my purchase. I new the unibody MBPs (and the 2009 revision) had "better" or "glossier" screens.

What no one told me is *how* different the glossy screen on the unibody MBPs are, compared to the glossy screen on previous generation MBPs.

I own a 15" fall 2007 MBP with glossy screen. It's beautiful, easy to read, non-distractive, and I can use it outside. It's screen is bright enough to use outside without issue. Unfortunately the keyboard and trackpad no longer work and requires repairs costing $500-$900.

My new 15" unibody MBP has mirror-like qualities. It's asinine. I'm in a daylight-lit room (no artificial lights and no direct sunlight) and I have to have the screen brightness all the way up so that my own mirror image will not distract from my reading.

I want very very badly to love and keep this laptop. Everything else about it is spectacular. But the reflectiveness really is a hindrance and a usability killer.

And to all those saying it's a personal preference... and to all those asking about "matte vs glossy"... Remember ***Not all glossy screens are equal!***

So when reading the forums, take into account that:

1) Many people haven't used both, but voice their opinion anyway
2) Many people are comparing based on a glossy screen from previous version or different laptop

If you like the glossy screen on the new unibody MBPs, then I commend you, and you're lucky, since you'll be able to keep it and be a happy user. For for the rest of us, I'm very disappointed...

Apple offers an anti-glare screen as an option for the 17" MBP. Readers, please ask Apple to include this option on the 15" line as well. The 17" MBP is not an option for many people, for various reasons including size, cost, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
I just purchased a 17" MB pro and opted for the matte screen. I have a friend with a glossy one and I don't like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
it depends on where u are gonna use it....
if u have a correctly lit room.. then glossy
but i u travel around or the lighting isnt perfect then anti glare... i have anti glare and it is sooo good... on the train i go past a flashin orange light and nothing happens... but other ppl with glossy cant see their screens

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.