Active Client for MS Exchange Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
Looked around and didn't see anything so here goes. I tap into my work mail which is on a Federal Installation by way of Internet. Once there, I use my ID Card in a USB Card Reader that reads the credentials on the chip on the card, with a pin, I gain access to my mailbox. All this on Windows, can I do this on a MAC? There is a program called Active Client that allows the reader to read my credentials and pin to gain access. I have yet to see this available to OSX. There is a download for Unix, will that work? If I have given you a headache, sorry. I already have one. Thanks for looking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To answer your question about being able to access your secure mail server on a Mac... Use Boot Camp to install Windows on your Mac (assuming you have an Intel Mac and Leopard) and you won't have to worry about a program for OS X. And no, I don't think the Unix program will work.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If this is it, it appears that a Mac client is available (I have no idea what this is so I could be way off).

OP
DaSvenska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag, thanks for the reply. I think Bootcamp comes with the new units, I have a Win**** CD, I will load it and then utilize it for the mail thing only. Again, thanks for the help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Out of curiosity, was I way off? If not, is there a way to get your IT dept. to get you a copy of this software?

OP
DaSvenska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, actually I asked them, and they were lost. But then again, they work on a Win**** network all day long and most own one their self. Only a few have Mac's and they have another system that they use just for checking their work mail. I really dont want to put another OS on my MBP..... Will probably continue to use my desktop for that purpose only.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really dont want to put another OS on my MBP..... Will probably continue to use my desktop for that purpose only.
That's why I ask. Running Windows to do one task is a waste of space if you ask me. Can you use the same system those other Mac users are using?

OP
DaSvenska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Van, I just checked that site and it looks promosing. I will need to look into further, good find on your part. Thanks

OP
DaSvenska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tech, good reading, thanks.

Reaction score
CAC access on a Mac

I don't know if this thread is still being checked. But...

I have been in the military for coming up on 22 years and am still working as a retired civilian for the TN Army National Guard. I upgraded our distance learning lab with 14 windows computers, so I'm extremely familiar with the software and have talked multiple times to the techies at National Guard Bureau (NGB) on ActiveClient. I have been trying for the last several years to get my CAC to work on my Mac so that I can access my AKO and state emails.

As of the date of this post, this is the answer:
- To get ActiveClient to work, you must load either BootCamp or Parallels with a semi-current version of Windows. And you must have Internet Explorer. There is no other option.
- The Mac can automatically recognize your CAC for logging in to the computer if you want a more secure option than just a password, that information is available through the Mac support pages on apple.com
- ActiveClient for Mac is not approved by the Department of Defense (DOD) and currently cannot be configured to work
- There is no version of Approvit (document signing software) for Mac
- Firefox for Windows will not work, I prefer Firefox over "Exploder"
- There used to be a version of Outlook for Mac, but I don't think you would be able to cross the government firewalls from home for security reasons.
- Internet "Exploder" is no longer supported for Mac

Good news,
- You don't need a large footprint to run Windows on a Mac.
- BootCamp is free and a part of your newer OSX install, though you will have to buy Windows. There is a discount through AKO.
- The ActiveClient software and government certificates are available free to government employees through AKO, you log into AKO on the CAC support page.
- You can log into AKO w/o a CAC from home, but will be restricted on CAC approved only sites.

If you decide to install Windows, you need to download strong virus scanning software. Norton and another great program are free on AKO to current government employees. Installing Windows on your machine w/o virus software opens up your entire hard drive to windows based viruses!!!!!

I hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.