Can not get mapping to work properly!

Reaction score
I am new to a MAC and always worked on PC's for IT work. I decided to purchase a MAC for myself to play and learn. Well I would like to connect to my work servers and after hours of messing with it, I figured out the SMB part and got it on. Now I can't figure out why it only is accepting the IP address of the server and not the name. For example:

smb://10.x.x.x/data Works

But this doesn't.

smb://ntserver3/data

Why? I would like to get this working so then I can map the drives automatically. But also I notice when I mapped the IP it mapped it to the root of the server instead of the actual folder. Any ideas how to hide the server but only show the folder?

Thanks!

OP
N
Reaction score
Okay, I found out that it maps the drives fine at work actually on the network, but when I use the VPN at home I can not get it to map the drives other than with a IP. Any ideas how to resolve that?

VPN is Microsoft PPTP.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well this box uses DHCP as it moves around as a laptop. I didn't have an entries in the DNS for the VPN. That might be why. I put the local DNS servers on the VPN network in there and will test that tonight to see if it works by using those.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was referring to the IP of the server, is that dynamic?

OP
N
Reaction score
The servers are not dynamic they are static. Do you think what I did above will solve the problem or do you think I still need to do the hosts file? Sorry. We have 7 servers, and 3 of them I would need to access over the VPN.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The servers are not dynamic they are static. Do you think what I did above will solve the problem or do you think I still need to do the hosts file? Sorry. We have 7 servers, and 3 of them I would need to access over the VPN.

I'm pretty sure. I haven't supported a VPN infrastructure in quite a long time, so I'm not terribly familiar with connecting to one from a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.