Transfer large files from Mac to Windows

Reaction score
Hi

I've been searching everywhere for a solution for my problem... I am sorry if I was unable to find it, but I decided to create this post.

I need to transfer a large (>4GB) .dmg from a mac to a windows.

I have managed to connect them both via Ethernet and Wireless. I can transfer any other files through the network, both via ethernet or wireless. When I try to copy from the windows side, it gives me an error of “not enough free space”. When I do it from the mac side, it tranfers up to 4GB, and gives the same error.

The file came compressed as .rar, multiple files, so i transfered all the files (the .rar files) to the pc and tried to extract there... when it's about 4gb extracted, it gives the ntfs error... in the mac it also gave error with The Unarchiver, but then I downloaded some other program and it worked. I tried on the windows WinRar, IZrar and Bitster, no sucess with any.

I have tried Transmac and it doesn´t read my macbook over network. It finds the archive, mount it, but does not expand it. And you can’t burn it if it is not expanded.

I have also converted to .iso, and still can´t transfer.

I have burned it in .iso format though, in a DL disk. I found the archive over the network from the Nero and burned it directly. It runs in Windows nicely, but my macbook doesn’t recognize it. I also tried to use the DVD drive over the network, no success…

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your Windows machine is using the FAT-32 file system, then file transfer or creation is limited to a file size of approximately 4 GB. It sounds like the error you received is because of that limitation. The work around is to convert your Windows machine to NTFS which does not have that restriction.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
So, if windows is formatted in NTFS, it should accept a transfer from a mac, even if this file was created in a Mac under FAT32?

How do I found out my Windows file system?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, the only way to have any file larger than 4GB in a Windows partition is by using NTFS.

see cwa's post below - forgot about that as I haven't used FAT32 for anything since XP came out.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just one point of clarification, when you're sharing files over a network, it doesn't matter which file system each workstation is using as the host operating system handles read/write chores. That's why TransMac did nothing for you - the problem is related to your Mac accepting incoming connections, period.

As far as upgrading a Windows machine from FAT32 to NTFS, that can be done on-the-fly without having to reformat (although you should have a backup any time you do a major filesystem change):

Open a command prompt and type:

Code:
convert <drive letter> /FS:NTFS

Make sure you replace <drive letter> with the actual drive letter (example: C: )

Also, do note that this is a ONE WAY change. Once it's converted, you can't go back without either reformatting or using a utility like Partition Magic.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks guys...

I borrowed a macbook air superdrive and found out: it only works in macbook air.

I will do that and see if it works...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.