New MBP, how do I type a Word document without having Word

Reaction score
I made the switch to a MBP and all is well apart from one issue.

Here is the problem, I have a essay I need to type then print on my MBP as I would of done previously in Word on my old PC. I did not get the Office applications when I purchased my laptop

As I am a complete newbie to the world of Apple (but would now never look back ;P I have no idea how or if I have an application I can use to finish my essay then print it off.

As this is due in tomorrow:Angry: and im now getting desperate is there any applications in the Mac OS X software that I can use as Word or notepad even???

Thanks for your help x

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can use OpenOffice, which comes highly recommended by others and myself. It's free and should get the job done for you (I should know, I went through 4 years of undergrad using it).

Note that by default, it doesn't save in the Office format and saves in the OpenDocument format. So, if you want to send this to someone else, you will have to explicitly choose the MS Office format when you save the document.

OP
A
Reaction score
You can use OpenOffice, which comes highly recommended by others and myself. It's free and should get the job done for you (I should know, I went through 4 years of undergrad using it).

Note that by default, it doesn't save in the Office format and saves in the OpenDocument format. So, if you want to send this to someone else, you will have to explicitly choose the MS Office format when you save the document.

Vansmith, you have saved my life, many thanks, now where is that red bull as Its going to be a long night :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina Macbook Pro 2014 model, 2.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD
Yeah I use OpenOffice too. Thank God, I didn't spend so much on Microsoft Office as it works good enough for me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Or Neo Office. Just as good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
OpenOffice.org will certainly work, but I also think it's worth mentioning that TextEdit (in your Applications folder) is capable of doing what you'd like. It's perhaps not quite as good for writing long papers, but it can save files in Word format (both .doc and .docx) and OpenDocument Text format (.odt), the standard used by OpenOffice Writer. Even though it looks pretty simple when you open it–just a step up from Notepad–it's actually quite powerful, with many basic formatting options as well as some more advanced text-editing features like kerning and ligature. I recommend learning to use it. It might help you out in the future: you could finish writing a quick note for yourself in the time it takes for OpenOffice Writer or Microsoft Word to open.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To nabl:

Could you explain how you can save a file as *.DOC, *.DOCX, and *.ODT with TextEdit? As far as I know, it can only save in text format (.txt) and rich text (.rtf).

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Could you explain how you can save a file as *.DOC, *.DOCX, and *.ODT with TextEdit? As far as I know, it can only save in text format (.txt) and rich text (.rtf).
(S)he's right. TextEdit lists rtf, rtfd, html, web archives, odt, docx, doc and "Word 2003 XML Format" as types that a document can be saved as. Now, whether each format is fully supported is beyond me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
(S)he's right. TextEdit lists rtf, rtfd, html, web archives, odt, docx, doc and "Word 2003 XML Format" as types that a document can be saved as. Now, whether each format is fully supported is beyond me.

Interesting. The help file indeed says that the above is true. That's what I get for not reading the help! :) I just read through the preferences which only list text and rtf as formats for saving. :(

I guess when you open a *.DOC with TextEdit and edit it, you will then be given a choice of saving it as *.DOC. Handy to know. Looks like TextEdit can do quite a bit. Kind of reminds me of the original WordPad WP processor that MS included with some versions of Windows.

Thanks for the info.

Regards.

Reaction score
Neo office is also very good too , it's like open office but with a mac look & feel , and it's a Nativ application so much faster !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
I guess when you open a *.DOC with TextEdit and edit it, you will then be given a choice of saving it as *.DOC. Handy to know. Looks like TextEdit can do quite a bit. Kind of reminds me of the original WordPad WP processor that MS included with some versions of Windows.

In addition to opening and saving existing .doc files and the like, you should be able to choose the format of your choice for any new document. Just use the File→Save As... menu command (or ⇧⌘S), and there will be a drop-down menu to choose from.

textedit_saveas.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.