Slow Wireless - Fast Ethernet

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Firstly, i know this has been brought up in depth before, but i have yet to resolved my issues.

My setup:
MB Pro OS 10.5.6
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB RAM
Netgear WGR614 v6 (V2.0.19_1.0.19 upgrade)
ISP - NCable

My issue is this:
My internet is running dreadfully slowly on wireless - around 600 kps. I have attempted to update open DNS through both my modem and through airport settings. I have disabled IPv6. Changing DNS has somewhat increased stability - as my connection was cutting out regularly, or not even loading pages.

The speed however is still slow. Running the ethernet directly i am getting between 3.5 - 5 mps for speed. I considered the ethernet itself as it looks a bit stuffed: But it works fine plugged straight in. I have also set my wireless to G or G and B as well as changing the channel to reduce interference. I ran a check on Miranda and that also yielded no helpful results.

So my question is: Is it likely to be my router needs replacing? If so i am considering getting airport express. Or is there something else i should consider before making a purchase. The router has previously worked extremely well for me. Very fast and stable. Now it is running like a pig though and it is rather annoying.

Cheers and thanks for any help

Regards, Andrew

Reaction score
There are many variables with wireless, distance, signal quality, obstructions between the AP and your Mac - plus there are other devices that can cause interference (like cordless phones.) Are you sure your wireless AP is set to channel 1, 6, or 11? Those are the non overlapping channels that would provide the best throughput. Is it also possible you have a neighbor that is 'stealing' your wireless bandwidth? What security precautions have you taken? As a last resort, default your access point back to factory defaults and start over, using WPA instead of WEP.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey mmirrotto,

Thanks for the ideas - i tried to set the particular channels, and changed the password, but alas, it was not to be.

Bought Airport Express today, and things are looking much better) touching wood). Anyway i appreciate the help.

Regards,

Andrew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.