Monitor mismatch ... can I fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4, 768 mg RAM, 40 gig HD
O Mac Gurus, please let me know if I can fix this situation:

I have a secondhand PowerMac G4 that I've been using with a standard VGA monitor. I bought a lovely Mac flat-screen monitor at a garage sale, never noticing that the connection doesn't exactly match up with what's on the back of the computer - see photos:
Back of computer's monitor inputs:
computermonitorinput.jpg

The monitor's plug:
monitorplug.jpg

The monitor itself:
themonitoritself.jpg

Are there any adapters I can use to connect? I paid $60 for the monitor, and I'm not even 100% sure if it works; and of course, since it was a yard sale, it's mine now one way or the other. I'd LOVE to use it - but ??

Thanks for any assistance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
edited: see below

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the prompt reply, but this isn't quite it - the cable I showed is connected to the monitor and it's got three rows of 10 pins (the computer has three rows of 8 pins) plus pushbuttons on the side of the plug that move the blades on the outside of the connector back and forth. These blades will block any connector that's got screw posts. None of the images in the connector-page photos match the plug on this monitor. Also, this monitor is supposed to take its power from the connector plug - it has no power plug... I'm new to Macs, I think I've bought a monitor that's too new for the G4 I've got :(

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep you're right that's an ADC plug on the monitor. Before my Mac time. I think the monitor is older than the G4.

I found this adapter.

Looks like a pain and too expensive for an old monitor not knowing whether it even works or not - requires it's own power, plugs into the DVI port and a USB port, then the monitor plugs into the adapter since the monitor also gets it's power thru the ADC port.

edit: here it is at Apple

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A sincere thanks for the research effort! Yep, the Apple thingamabob looks like it would be the ticket, but at another $50 for the used one - hmmm:\

Since my Mac does have the AGP slot and its current card is a combo VGA/DVI, I'm now trying to see if simply replacing the video card with an ADC-capable one would suffice - I'm trying to determine if my G4 has the internal circuitry that would allow the monitor to draw power. If so, I can get a new card for the machine off eBay for less than the Apple doohickey... back to the drawing board!!!

Yep you're right that's an ADC plug on the monitor. Before my Mac time. I think the monitor is older than the G4.

I found this adapter.

Looks like a pain and too expensive for an old monitor not knowing whether it even works or not - requires it's own power, plugs into the DVI port and a USB port, then the monitor plugs into the adapter since the monitor also gets it's power thru the ADC port.

edit: here it is at Apple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.