• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any fishers will be helpful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Heres the story:

My math teacher is retiring this year after almost 25 years of teaching at school. He loves to fish. So, I thought that if I got my first period social studies class, with 20 people in it, to bring in $5 each, we could buy him a new fishing pole. The thing is, none of us are really very knowledgeable about fishing poles. So can anyone recommend one that is good, and $100 or less?

Here's the one I'm thinking of getting... Gander Mountain® > Pflueger Cetina Freshwater Spincasting Combo - Fishing > Freshwater Fishing > Rod & Reel Combos > Spincast Combos :

Thanks!

James

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The question that comes to mind, is what type of fishing does he like to do. Either fresh water or salt water. The poles are different, fresh water poles are light poles and the salt water one are much heavier.

You might want to give him a gift certificate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Yep gift card, because it is just as rman said their is different poles for different water types as well as what you want to catch. Also depending how close a store is I would suggest a bass pro shop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Yep gift card, because it is just as rman said their is different poles for different water types as well as what you want to catch. Also depending how close a store is I would suggest a bass pro shop.

Agreed. If you have a Bess Pro Shops nearby, they have the largest selection around and the prices are better then anywhere else.

OP
BlueMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I do know that he fishes alot in the Adirondacks and Catskills lakes, which are all freshwater. And we wanted to get him something like this instead of just a piece of plastic. Even if he didn't use it alot, he'd remember us as the class who got him a fishing pole.

Also, I was thinking we might get it from Gander Mountain, I'm not very sure if there is a Bass Pro Shop around here.

EDIT: Just looked on their website, and the nearest store is in Foxboro Massachusetts, or in New York state, Auburn. I live in Rhinebeck, which is about 100 miles south of Auburn, so no chance of that. I'll go to Gander Mountain in Kingston.

Thanks

James

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.