Data Transfer Very Slow From Mac To External

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive & I used disk utility to format the drive in HFS mode.

On connection to the Mac the drive is recognised.

However upon moving a 1gb file to the external drive can
take around 30 mins ??

Ive tried another hard drive formatted & partitioned in the same way & the data transfer is rapid, 1gb in about 1 min !

Just trying to work out why one drive is faster than the other ??

Anyone shed any light on the matter ?

Ive loaded Macfuse & NTFS-3G, but still same issue.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why would you mention MacFUSE and NTFS-3G, if the problem only occurs when writing a file to the drive formatted in HFS?

Reaction score
Are these hard drives plugged into USB or FireWire and do they both have power supplies plugged into the wall?

OP
tsam19
Reaction score
Both have their own power sources & both use a USB lead.

Whats the problem with mentioning MacFUSE or NTFS-3G ??

I'm not sure what getting at ???

On reading other threads about similar cases, the advice is install these two programs to help accessing files in that format (NTFS) or similar.

Regardless of these 2 programs installed or not, 1 hard drive accepts data faster than the other, yet there are both new hard drives.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Both have their own power sources & both use a USB lead.

Whats the problem with mentioning MacFUSE or NTFS-3G ??

I'm not sure what getting at ???

On reading other threads about similar cases, the advice is install these two programs to help accessing files in that format (NTFS) or similar.

Regardless of these 2 programs installed or not, 1 hard drive accepts data faster than the other, yet there are both new hard drives.

The reason I ask is that you mentioned you formatted the drive HFS+ (the native Mac filesystem). But then you brought up MacFUSE and NTFS-3G, which are generally used to access NTFS-formatted partitions.

So, what I'm getting at is why would that be relevant if you're using HFS+? If you aren't, be aware that MacFUSE+NTFS-3G is well known to be slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.