ADSL modem/router and firewall

C

Clairejr

Hi,

I’ll be getting an ADSL connection next week and I’ll be provided with an Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 ethernet modem/router. Does anyone have experience with this modem/router? Right now I’m using OS 10.2.8 on a G3 iBook (I’ll be upgrading to a Mac Mini in a few months).

I don’t live in the US and my only other options for an ADSL modem/router are the D-Link DSL 504T or the Trendnet TW100-BRM504. If I went with either or these I’d have to buy it for over $100. My main concern with the Alcatel is the quality of its firewall and how to configure the firewall. From what I’ve read about the D-Link and the Trendnet their firewalls are quite effective and easily configured, so if the advice is to go with one of them rather than the Alcatel, I’m willing to pay the price.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Claire

PS - I don’t want to go wireless since my iBook doesn’t have an Airport card and I don’t want to spend the money for the card (another $100).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.