what it means when Mail tells me "copying mails"

Reaction score
Hi, I just add my gmail account to Mail and finally it finishes downloading all the mails with most of which marked as "Unread" (which are already read in gmail), I just want to mark these unread mails as read so i select all the mail using Command+A then intend to mark them as read through the right click menu, now a progress bar pops up telling me "copying mails" (something like this, mine is shown in chinese), there are thousands of mails so the "copying mails" processes really slowly making the Mail kind of unreasoned then i cancel it .... and i can not mark all the mail as read since every time i select mails using Command+A, the "copying mails" window comes up.....
Can anyone tell me what the copying mails means and where these mails are copied to, and how can i mark all the mails as read?
THx a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you using Gmail via POP? You should start over and use IMAP if you want things like read state and labels to be synchronized as well...

OP
F
Reaction score
well thanks I tried to use IMAP mode but the receive and send server seem to the same as those of POP.....and i still want to know why I can not select all the mails and mark them as Unread

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.