What do I do-I have no idea what's filling up my hard drive!

Reaction score
So I looked at my hard drive today and was shocked to find that I had 111GB of files on this relatively new computer. What really bothers me is, I can't figure out where all that space is being used! I cleaned out applications, photos, downloads, etc. folders, but it only opened up a few gigs. I know I don't have that much stuff on my comp! What could be going on?

Reaction score
Install "What Size" and u could pretty much know what's taking the space on ur mac....hope it helps...

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

Very helpful.

Here's a very related question. Are the files in the "previous systems" folder important? I have a 13.8 Gig previous system, and if it isn't necessary for my computer, I want to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Not a Notebook hardware issue. Moved to software forum.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A previous systems folder means you did an archive and install the last time you installed the OS. How long ago was that? If you haven't missed anything from it, you probably don't need anything that's in it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Nope, don't need anything from it. That'll probably finish up my cleanup. Deleted about 50 gigs worth of stuff. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.