Terminal Query

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5"iMac, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB
I would like to know that the terminal window shown below is the window that I would expect to open. I have seen others which don't have the the same heading as mine which is "terminal-bash-80x20". As I would like to start learning about how to type in the commands when I know a little more, I want to start on the right foot. I also noticed when I experimented with one command it required my password but it wouldn't let me type it in ???

This what I get in the box when I first open Terminal.

Last login: Sat Jun 13 01:19:56 on ttys000
Macintosh:~ Bryan$

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would like to know that the terminal window shown below is the window that I would expect to open. I have seen others which don't have the the same heading as mine which is "terminal-bash-80x20". As I would like to start learning about how to type in the commands when I know a little more, I want to start on the right foot. I also noticed when I experimented with one command it required my password but it wouldn't let me type it in ???

This what I get in the box when I first open Terminal.

Last login: Sat Jun 13 01:19:56 on ttys000
Macintosh:~ Bryan$
The heading is fine - the difference is likely the last part which signifies size. Mine for instance says 80x24.

While I always like to see people tinker with their machines, I have to recommend against it for people who are new to *nix until they grasp some of the more basic concepts. Issuing commands at the bash prompt (Terminal) has the potential to go south very quickly if you don't know what you're doing. Your best bet would be to familiarize yourself with the man pages (type man <command> to get a listing of what the command does and what kinds of options you can send it).

Never execute commands that you don't understand...ever.

As for your password, it probably did let you put it in but didn't echo back (show you) what you were typing. That is a feature and not a problem. Try typing your password and hitting enter. Again, if you don't know what the command does, especially if you are giving it root access (you need a password for this), don't execute it. I can't stress that enough.

Reaction score
Just like to welcome myself to the forum

Would just like to say there are certainly a lot of interesting things being said here i will definately get back in a short while to participate actively.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5"iMac, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB
Typed man <command> as suggested and received the next line as follows: " -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline' "

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ok, by <command> it is meant to be the command you're giving. For instance, if you were querying the command df you'd issue

man df

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Don't type "man <command>" - replace <command> with the command you wish to learn about. For instance, if you type "man ls" (without the quotes), you will get the man page for ls, which lists the files in a directory.

EDIT: Dysfunction beat me to it. That's what I get for having the tab open too long.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.