International Photo Server

Reaction score
Hello All!

My first post to the forums; lets get you working! :)

Here's my circumstance:

I'm going to be leaving to Armenia at the end of the year, and will be living there for about 2 years. For whatever reason, I won't be allowed to bring my own computer (but I don't even know when I would be able to have internet over there anyway.) I do know that once a week, I should have access to a computer for about a half hour to take care of my personal e-mail needs. I will be bringing a camera, and would like to somehow get the photos I take (digitally) to my family. Dad is worried that sending an SD Card through the postal service is too risky, so he's suggested we set up some type of server that I can upload my pictures to, during my allotted computer time.

My question:

How can we do this? Does he need to buy some server equipment? Is it Mac AND PC compatible? etc. etc. etc.

Thanks!

-Brayden

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not use a service like Picasa Web Albums? I don't use any photo services but apparently Picasa lets you have private albums if you were concerned about privacy. You could then just upload the pictures and have only your family see them. Note the limits on upload size and total disk space though. You might be able to buy extra storage but I'm not sure.

OP
B
Reaction score
A service like that is good, but my Dad is already investing in server software/equipment anyway. Any more suggestions?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could set up an FTP server and ftp the pictures to the server occasionally, perhaps saving them in folders named after the day you took the picture (or uploaded them).

OP
B
Reaction score
In the case of setting up an FTP server, would that be accessible by any computer (Mac or PC) and strictly web-based? :)

OP
B
Reaction score
*bump

Hey all,

I'm still looking for a good solution to my situation! Any help is great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.