13" Macbook Pro...2gb RAM or 4gb RAM?

Reaction score
Hey guys...i need a little help & some good opinions. Im heading to the Apple Store where i live next week to purchase my 1st Mac. But im running into a small dilemma..should i get the 2gb of ram or the 4gb..i also plan on doing the 250gb hard drive. I just didnt know if i would notice a real difference if i got the 2gb..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Apple charges you 90 dollars for 4GB, you can buy and install it for a lot less and save yourself some cash.

RAM modules found here.

I recommend the first one on the list, Crucial.

With the extra cash that you saved on the RAM you can put that towards the HDD, which are faster than what they offer and have large storage capacities. I recommend these two.

Forgot the how to guide to install the stuff. That can be found here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" Unibody
You will see a slight difference in the 2gb vs the 4gb. I will also say Apple has marked down the first unibody macbooks and they are sweet. I noticed on the apple site on the refurbished units that they have the 15" macbook pro for 1349.00 That is amazing as they were 1999.00 Check it out, Tim

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple charges you 90 dollars for 4GB, you can buy and install it for a lot less and save yourself some cash.
Agreed. Your best bet is to buy the Mac as it comes and upgrade yourself. You will save a considerable amount of money if you do it yourself.

Reaction score
Yep. Buy the MacBook as is and upgrade yourself. You'll save money that you can use elsewhere...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Kind of disappointing that you can't get the new 13" mbp 2.53 with 2 gb ram and upgrade on your own. From what I'm seeing on the apple store site, it's either 2.26 with 2gb or 2.53 with 4gb. Not cool that you HAVE to pay the Apple prices for ram if you want the faster/better processor.
Guess you might as well get the base 13" mbp and upgrade memory on your own like everyone else is saying. Lesser of two evils...

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm..thanks everybody for your input. I was looking at what you guys said..i should put the money into the HDD, and then personally install new RAM. Thanks again guys!:D

Reaction score
I think you just go with option upgrade the ram yourself. It is extremely easy, you will be surprised how easy it is. In the end, you can save some money and you got a good experience for it. Cheers and good luck mate.

SG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I would do the RAM And HDD upgrade yourself.

Reaction score

RAM modules found here.

I recommend the first one on the list, Crucial.

With the extra cash that you saved on the RAM you can put that towards the HDD, which are faster than what they offer and have large storage capacities. I recommend these two.

Forgot the how to guide to install the stuff. That can be found here.

Quick question about the RAM. Is there any reason not to get the Muskin over the Crucial? I am only asking because after the rebate the Muskin is about 5 bucks cheaper and looks to have the same specs/warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
No - both are respected companies. Enjoy your new RAM!!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Quick question about the RAM. Is there any reason not to get the Muskin over the Crucial? I am only asking because after the rebate the Muskin is about 5 bucks cheaper and looks to have the same specs/warranty.

I only recommend things to people that I have experience with first hand. I've haven't used any Muskin ram before, but I know they are a pretty reputable company as well.

Reaction score
mine works fast with 2gb but i notice it's using about 60% of it at least at any given time

Reaction score
Valid question, I am wondering if I will notice any change at all if I just web surf, open a few docs, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Valid question, I am wondering if I will notice any change at all if I just web surf, open a few docs, etc.

No. You won't. More RAM would be valid for someone using graphic intensive apps. Those sorts of things could use a lot of cached data in the RAM modules, but not basic web surfing and opening documents. I'd save your money for now. And even if there was a difference (what, a few milliseconds ?) is that really so much of a difference that you should spend money to upgrade ?

IMO, a faster (7200 RPM) and larger (500 gigs)hard drive would be a better upgrade, or even an external HD for that matter. But even that won't make a difference for your needs. JMHO. I recently upgraded my 2008 aluminum MacBook Pro from 2 to 4 gigs (Corsair) and haven't noticed much of anything in terms of a speed increase, to be honest.

I was looking for improvements in speed for Lightroom 2, but unfortunately LR is just a freegin' sloth when it comes to certain tasks. It's poor coding on the devs part, and nothing will change that. Not even 8 gigs of RAM.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", iphone
I'm also deciding between a 13" MBP 2.26GHz and 2.53GHz. The difference in RAM price doesn't seem as huge as it used to be...roughly $60 compared to $90 from Apple (without having to order, install yourself). I read in another thread that installing your own HD could cause problems with the warranty. Is this true? If so, choosing the 13" MBP 2.53GHz with 4GB RAM and 250GB hard drive seems like it might be a safer option, though a little more expensive and not as big a hard drive as I would get if ordering and installing myself.

Though cost would definitely be better upgrading yourself:
rough cost comparison: $1499 - 2.53GHz MBP with 4GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM HD vs.
$1350 - 2.26GHz MBP with 4GB RAM & 500GB 5400RPM HD

Reaction score
HDD upgrade

Hi Guys,

I am getting this macbook pro in few days.

I want to upgrade the HDD to either 320 or 500 gb.

Are there any success stories with the upgrade?

If so, could you please share the hdd conf?

I found in some forum that some hdds dint work.

Also, when you upgrade what happens to the OS?

Do we need to get new OSX installation disk and install ?

Thanks,

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As long as you follow the guide for your Mac (available on the Apple site or use Google to find it), you should be fine. I've done it here and everything worked out find.

New HDs are blank so you will either have to image your current HD or you will have to reinstall OS X using the restore discs that came with your Mac.

Reaction score
As long as you follow the guide for your Mac (available on the Apple site or use Google to find it), you should be fine. I've done it here and everything worked out find.

New HDs are blank so you will either have to image your current HD or you will have to reinstall OS X using the restore discs that came with your Mac.

Hey!

Thanks for replying.
Can you tell me the conf of the HDD you used ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 250GB, 16GB iPod Touch gen1, 30GB iPod video.
MY girlfriend went with the 2 gb and i went with the 4gb i notice when doing some stuff in cs4 that my comp will finish the tasks a little faster but im also the kind of guy who likes to have some extra mem just incase i need to do a lot of things at once which is alot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.