• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

convert Quicktime .dv movies to AVI/mp4/wmv/mpg or MOV format

Reaction score
Hi

I have a MacBook Pro with 10.4.11OSX and have used iMovies to produce a number of videos. I could not keep them in their original iMovie Project format as they were taking up too much memory so I had to save them as Full Quality QuickTime .dv files.

I wanted to upload some of them to facebook but it does not accept .dv format. Instead, I have to convert my .dv files to either AVI, mp4, mpg, wmv or MOV (QuickTime) in order to upload them.

Does anyone know of any free online software or conversion sites where I can do this ? Nothing too technical would be great.

Thanks in advance

OP
C
Reaction score
I downloaded that program and unfortunately you need QuickTime Pro which I don't have as the computer I use is a work computer but thanks for the suggestion.

There must be some other online free software/program which converts .dv to other formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You shouldn't need quicktime pro for any features of mpeg streamclip

The only thing you'd need extra is if you want to play/export mpeg2 files, which would require the mpeg2 plugin for QT (which is separate from quicktime pro and only required for mpeg2 capability).

And even here:
Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X

on their website it doesn't mention requiring QTP.

Plus I had used mpeg streamclip before I had FCE or FCP installed on my system (and I don't have quicktime pro at all)...

It's not that I'm arguing with you, it is just odd that you're running into an issue with something that shouldn't be happening...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.