desk top folder appeard in desktop folder

Reaction score
Hi all,

Some how i have a folder labeled desktop in a folder i keep on my desk top. It has a red circle with a white line through it(like a do not enter sign). How do i get rid of it? is it bad? it think it means i don't have access. here is a pic. any help would be great.

I am on a mac pro with 10.5.7

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1
The name of this folder makes me hesitant to give you the terminal command you can easily mistake it for you actual desktop folder, which could screw things up.

First make sure there is nothing in this folder that you need!!

Pop open terminal and navigate to the parent directory of this folder. The command will be cd Desktop/<folder name>

Type: pwd

pwd will tell you where you are in the file system in relation to root (/)..So long as the path shown IS NOT /Users/<user name> continue..

Now run:

Code:
sudo rm -rf Desktop/
You will be prompted for your password, put it in.

sudo makes you the root user which will over ride any permissions problems.

rm = remove

-rf= recursive (delete containing files) and force.

Your mysterous folder should now be gone. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
As Big Dan wrote, be VERY careful with this type of terminal code. I've read countless cries for help on linux forums where someone has accidently destroyed something that was vital. It can really mess up your system, giving you many more problems than a strange folder appearing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.