Windows 7 Sounds is awful and tinny on iMac Bootcamp

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 via bootcamp on my 24 inch iMac (4 gig ram, 3.0ghz). Not the current version but the one right before. Everything is working fine. In fact, it's amazingly fast and snappy, which I attribute more to the fact that Apple makes some kickass hardware than anything else.

There's one exception. The audio is awful. On the Mac side it sounds great and full. But here, under windows, it sounds tinny, and high pitched, and without any full base. It just sounds crappy.

I've installed the High Definition Audio Codec from the realtek page here Realtek but that hasn't fixed the problem.

Any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey, it's a beta. :) What more can I say? Keep your eye out for updated sound drivers and don't be afraid to experiment with different ones. Look at the hardware tree in Win 7 and see what it identified your sound card as. Then go to the manufacturer's web site and download the latest Vista drivers.

Regards.

Reaction score
The Realtek drivers have an equalizer in them. Tinker with that. I found the "Powerful" preset worked wonders on my PC laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.