Cannot access server via FTP

Reaction score
I just recently purchased web hosting, and I'm trying to access, or rather upload and edit what is there via FTP, but can't. I have almost zero knowledge of web servers and FTP, so to say I'm lost is an understatement. I purchased a web gallery software, and the company was able to upload it to my server. The hosting company is able to access it, but I can't. I can log in and see the data that is there, but anything I attempt to do, I receive the message "access denied." I have tried both Cyberduck and FileZilla. Due to others being able to access and edit with no issue, it's clearly something on my end. I have no firewall software running, and I've been unable to find anything in System Pref. or elsewhere that would be blocking me from uploading/editing data. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Ftp

you should have the login details for your control panel, go into it via browser, open file manager, public_html, look for the gallery files, click on index and you should see the url to your page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
For most hosts all you need is an FTP program such as Filezilla. Create a new site, Host is www.yoururl.com, server type is generally FTP, logon type is normal, user is your control panel logon, password is your control panel password. That's usually all you will need. If it doesn't work check with your host and see if they require a secure FTP server connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Reaction score
if you can actually see the files but when try to add a file or modify you get an error message its probably a bug or glitch for example iweb 09 cannot write to any windows servers through ftp try and find out what your host is running

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.