I just got my iBook!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I just bought my iBook G4 this morning and i do love it, it is faster than i expected and much more... but i still need some software. Does anyone knows a simple image browser (like the one that comes with WinXP) any advice? Thanks.

X

xthisisRomancex

image browser. like are u talking about something like iPhoto. if not im not sure what you are talking about... if i photo is what you are looking for it can be located in ur dock or in you application folder.

Congrats on the purchase.. Do you still have the stock 256megs of ram....?

OP
mraya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I tried iPhoto but it doesnt work as i need, WinXP image browser allowed me to double-click one image, and use cursor keys to navigate trough all the images of the folder, that simple.
I got a memory upgrade (total 512mb RAM), i guess it helps a lot, but this is my first mac so i kinda feel a bit lost, i have to admit the OS is really friendly and i dont miss the right-click too much. This is indeed a good machine! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
i dont miss the right-click too much. This is indeed a good machine!

You can right-click on your mac:

PRess the ctrl key and click - this will give you a right-click context menu. In some apps you actually NEED a right-click, even on a mac :)

You can also connect any USB mouse with 2 buttons - it will work just like under windows, i.e. with full 2 mouse functionality...

As for your image browser question:

This is the one thing that windows XP does better than OS X IMO. Maybe check versiontracker.com for image browsers, but I don't know any off the top of my head..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is Preview. It will view pretty any graphic format and PDFs as well. If you want to view all in a folder, just drop the folder on the Preview icon when it's open in the doc and all the pics in that folder will be there for you to step through. I figured that one out myself one day. Hope that helps.

Like another said, just hold CTRL and click and you will get the Right click menus. Or like was also said, you can use any USB mouse also. If you use a logitech, get the OSX driver and you can assign even 5 buttons if they are there.

OP
mraya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Thanks for the help, i got a little program called ImageBrowser from VersionTracker, it does almost everything i need. And about the "right-click" i have to say that the contextual menus aren't as big as in WinXP, but no complains, im really happy with this OS, after an entire night of copying files im really surprised by the performace of this machine.
Ok, now two more questions....
- Version tracker is a big place to find programs, but wich are the other options?
- how do i change the file associations?
- is Opera a better browser than Safari?

Thanks!

X

xthisisRomancex

Version tracker is a big place to find programs, but wich are the other options?[/QUOTE}
www.macupdate.com
download.com has mac search.
IMO, version tracker is the best...
- is Opera a better browser than Safari?P
i have only used this broweser a few times.. SAfari is really good browser but it does lack in some cases..... check out firefox. at vesiont tracker
------
do you have iLife 5... and the new iPhoto... i tried it yet but i ehard it was better...... IMO, iPhoto needs to be totaly re-done. horible program.. :(
---

OP
mraya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I have iLife '05 but is a bit dissapointing, i really liked iPhoto at the store and i have also a good impression about GarageBand, but at the moment i started to use iPhoto i got dissapointed, it didn't allow me to open a single picture w/o it being in the library, maybe i havent used it enoguh but i have now other software that i consider better for the job.
About the Safari, it is good, but i miss FireFox,i have read in this forum ithappens to be unstable with Mac, so i dont want to try it yet.
Another question i have is about disk space and uninstalling/deleting programs, right now i have 14gb free, but im curious about what else can be deleted without problem, and also how deep programs install them self, at first glance i toguht they were mostly a sinlge file, the files in a directory, but now im not sure.

X

xthisisRomancex

in most cases all u have to do is grag the icon to the trach can or you can highlight it and hit command(apple)+delete....Garge band is a really good program.... i have ProTools but i sitll tinker *funny word* round with garage band... and in garage band 2 ( the on that camewith iLife 05) you can record up to 8 independant tracks at the same time....

As for firefox being unstable.. You shouod go ahead and give it a shot.... it is used by alot of ppl.... and i havent had n e problems with it....

Reaction score
www.macupdate.com is another Mac download site. Give firefox a try, its a good program. I'm using Shiira at the moment which I like the most at the moment but then I tend to switch a lot, Just try them all out and see for yourself.

As for deleting programs, it is possible that extra files are left behind in your library folder. They don't usually take up much space but if you would like to get rid of them as well then type the name of the program in the search field of a finder window and delete the appropriate files that come up. Be careful not to delete anything important, their will no doubt be a plist file in their, these are the preference files in OSX.

It's also possible to do what you have said with winxp image browser by clicking on one image and then using the curser keys to go through the rest with iPhoto. If you are still interested in the program then you should have another look at it as the functions are their.

As for the right click on the mouse, it maybe worth the effort to start using the keyboard more as keyboard shortcuts are also very handy to learn and use. If you would like more functionality in the contextual menu then their are more than a few add ons, most of them free which can be downloaded.

Glad to hear that your enjoying your new Mac so much!!!! :cool:

OP
mraya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
After a bit of review i have decided to give iPhoto another chance, and also keep using Safari. I still have a lot to learn about this OS but is funny to see how many of the improves that Longhorn is suposed to have for the GUI are actually present and WORKING in Mac X.
Something that caught my atention was that after connect a SD card using a USB multi-card reader the system cosider it as digital camera (the SD actually came from my camera and had only .jpg's on it) can someone explain me why?
Another question is about the battery life, as i understand it is suposed to last up to 6 hours, but after a fully charge it says that i have 3 hours (Energy Saver set to maximize battery life using the Airport card), am i doing somehting wrong or does the Airport system uses so much energy?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
from what I know, the screen brightness and the airport card does have an affect on the battery. I have my screen brightness set to about half and I turn off the airport card when I am not using it.

OP
mraya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Have you checked the offers at the Sale section of the Apple Store?

A

amartins02

Yea. But I just sold my Toshiba tablet on ebay for 920.00. Waiting for the payment. He has good feedback so I am hoping he is away or something. Oh boy I hope this goes through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^Good Luck. I used my iBook for 3 months with the standard 256mb of ram, then I splurged and bought a gig stick, so now its maxed. You cna go by fine with 256mb for awhile until u save up for the gig stick. Dont give in and by an extra 512mb right away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.