Convert .M4A to MP3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 3.06 ghz; 4GB Ram; 500 GB 7200 RPM HD
Are you using iTunes?

I was able to get iTunes to export my songs to MP3 format using the following steps:

In the Preferences dialog, bring up the Import Settings and choose MP3 encoder for Import Format.​

Now you should be able to secondary click on any of the songs in your library and choose Create MP3 Version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
itunes will do it. really need something else?

OP
soulfire363
Reaction score
yes, itunes downloads .m4a, I'm playing around with makig ringtones and they accept MP4 and MP3
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yes, and itunes will convert m4a to mp3 quite easily. All you need to do is change the import type to mp3.. then you can do this.

20090612-1j3h85x4kjm14ynrfigyi66pih.jpg

Reaction score
I've been using iTunes to convert m4a to mp3 for years, but in the new iTunes 8.2 I can no longer find the import options in the preference menu, and right clicking only allows converting to AAC. Am I missing something? Any help out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its in general settings > import CD and the import settings button

Reaction score
AAC to MP3

I've done all the required settings on my Mac (iTunes10) and have converted the playlist from AAC to MP3, but when I want to burn the playlist to a CD, I get an error message saying some of the songs are not yet MP3 - how come?

Can someone please tell me what I've done wrong? I've selected the songs in the playlist, CTRL+Right click and then selected create MP3 version ... what ELSE?!

Thanks

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Moved to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
AAC to MP3

I've done all the required settings on my Mac (iTunes10) and have converted the playlist from AAC to MP3, but when I want to burn the playlist to a CD, I get an error message saying some of the songs are not yet MP3 - how come?

Can someone please tell me what I've done wrong? I've selected the songs in the playlist, CTRL+Right click and then selected create MP3 version ... what ELSE?!

Thanks

I've made all the necessary adjustments but I want to convert existing tracks that are non-MP3 to MP3. How?

C

chas_m

As you can see in Dysfunction's post, you can create a ringtone right inside iTunes, no need to convert anything.

HairyOne: what you missed is that creating an MP3 version of the songs doesn't delete the MP4 version, it just creates A COPY that is in MP3. So what you would want to do is REPLACE the mp4 songs in your playlist with the MP3 versions elsewhere in your library. You can make this a lot easier on yourself by adding "type" to the viewable columns in iTunes so you can see at a glance which files are MP4 and which are MP3.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.