Those of you with a pc and a dvd burner.

A

amartins02

Can you, with an iBook, or iMac, whatever, connect to a dvd burner on a pc over the network and use it to burn dvd's? Or is there a way to map a drive to the pc burner and use it? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you can connect to it and burn data from the pc, but not things on the mac burned to a networked dvd burner. you could always try using your pc dvd burner with your mac. if its external, it should work, if internal, it should still work if you set it up correctly.

OP
A

amartins02

How would it still work if its internal on my pc? So then there is no way to use it as a networked burner? Hmmm, I was wondering that if you can accessed a networked drive you might be able to do this. How compatible is it to take an internal and put it into an external box and hook it up through usb or firewire? Anyone ever try this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
How compatible is it to take an internal and put it into an external box and hook it up through usb or firewire? Anyone ever try this?

Yeah I think quite a few people have, should work fine.

You don't actually even need an enclosure, I use an internal harddrive with a USB 2.0 to IDE adapter with a power supply and that works fine too (though an enclosure would look better I guess :))

You could also try making a PC compatible disk image on your mac, transfer that to the PC and use a burning app to burn the image to DVD... I think if you make it .iso that should work (dunno if Toast can do this though!)

OP
R

rvr2k3

DVD Guy said:
I want to do this too. Any other suggestions?

I was able to burn an ISO image with iDVD and save it on an external USB HD and then burn it on my PC using Nero.

I would assume as long as the network you are using is hard wired, the transfer speed from the Mac to the PC should be suffient to burn the iso.

Good Luck.

:cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, that should work, just a. dont run any other apps on either computer during burning, unless you have to, maybe a couple on the mac. b. use nero's buffer underrun prevention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
"hard-wired network?" Naaah.... that's why they invented the Shuffle!

:)

Seriously, I would suggest converting your files to .iso (actually they're called .cdr in Disk Utility) files and run them to your PC (over network or via your favorite iPod :) and burn them there with Nero as Macman said.

Here's a great link that tells you how to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.